The Sun Within The Sky

A/n: i royally fucked up my math exam today :)

It was a moment until I heard it again, a sound so pitiful and lonesome it made the solitary heart in my chest beat faster and faster.

I turned to see a small figure sitting in the shadows, there where a moment before he was not, his wings curled around his body and a bloody heart lying still between his hands. He was crying, and never before had I felt so desperate and distraught in my relief.

"Jimin," I whispered, and it came out struck with disbelief. My legs trembled as I closed the distance between us, hesitant and yet certain, so utterly terrified that he was not actually there and it was only my mind creating such a harsh fantasy.

He did not look at me- hardly acknowledging that I was there- and I slowed.

His dark hair was hanging over his eyes and his hands were wet with blood, but he was breathing and he was alive and he was there.

I knelt before him, careful to keep my distance, but a moment later he let out an agonized shriek that sounded as though it came straight from one of his night terrors.

He shook his head furiously as he pushed himself back against the corner of the concrete barrier, his eyes dragging up to meet mine before crumbling all together. He looked broken and exhausted.

"I'm s-sorry," he choked, the words nothing more but a rueful whisper. "I tried to - to leave, but I..." He sobbed and brought his legs to his chest as his wings flared out violently, spanning easily a width of twenty feet and twitching with unused power. I pushed myself back, my breath catching at the menacing sight, but a moment later his wings fluttered and swiftly wrapped around his body, protective as they shielded him from me. He sounded so small. So unsure. "I don't want to leave..."

"Jimin," I said again, aching at how much he was hurting. I longed to pull him into my arms and comfort him, but I knew that I was the sole reason for his misery and such an act would only harm the already precarious situation. "Jimin, sweetheart, what are you talking about?"

He slowly looked up at me, the tip of his nose crimson and his dark eyes brimmed with tears that seemed to have no end. "You gave it back," he whispered. "You - you did not want it..."

"Sweet boy," I whispered.

He wiped at his face with the back of his hand and looked down, his voice hoarse and exhausted. "I gave you my heart and you gave it back. "You - you didn't want it, and I couldn't - you don't want me here and I can't..." His lips began to tremble, shoulders shaking as he sobbed again.

His heart slipped out of his hand, landing discarted on the cold ground, and my stomach clenched when I realised it was no longer beating.

"I tried to leave, because that's what you wanted and I love - I want you to be happy. But I couldn't. I couldn't make myself leave and I - I'm so sorry. He made a strangled sound from the back of his throat and buried his face in his hands, chest heaving. "I'm sorry, sir, I'm so - so sorry... so sorry..."

"Jimin," I whispered, resting my hand on his knee. He flinched and pushed himself away against the wall. "Jimin sweetheart, I - you thought that I didn't want you here?"

"You gave it back," he sobbed, and I inched closer, tugging his hands away from his face so that I could meet his broken gaze, beautiful eyes, so unsure. I rested my finger on his cheek and he winced as though I had struck him. I loathed myself for everything I had ever done to hurt this boy.

"Jimin," I said softly, shaking my head as my throat closed up. "Beautiful you've - you've got this all wrong..."

"You have it back," he whispered. "Why - why did you g-give it back?"