Defenceless

"So you guys are still alive," Yoongi said with a reasonable amount of discontent in his voice as he dipped a piece bread into his soup.

"It only took Jimin leaving for you two to show your faces here again huh?"

Taehyung and I shared a nervous glance before hanging our heads low in shame.

"We are sorry," Taehyung said. "We should've come down more often..."

The kitchenhelp huffed as if that were obvious and subtly rolled his eyes.

"So what exactly is going with you three then?" Hoseok asked, with a mouthful of bread and a cheeky smile. "Are you all fucking now?"

Yoongi slapped Hoseok's arm, nudging his head in Namjoon's direction who sat in complete silence on the far end of the table.

The cook panicked, his eyes growing wider as he stumbled over his words trying to find a new subject to talk about.

"It's fine Hobi," Namjoon said, speaking up for the first time since Taehyung and I had joined him at the dinner table.

"I can't dictate your speech..." he said, absentmindedly playing with his spoon.

I nervously bit on the inside of my lips. Jin's absence at the dinner table was greatly felt, and I could never imagine how much worse it must've been for Namjoon.

"We can have manners though," Taehyung argued, giving Hoseok a clear look.

"Of course," the cook said as he cleared his throat. "So... uhm, does anyone know where exactly Jimin is?"

"Probably Italy," Yoongi guessed with a sigh. "Unless his father is taking him to the bank to show him his future life..."

Hoseok furrowed his brows. "But wouldn't we have been told when he'll return if that's the case?"

Yoongi shrugged and took a sip of his water.

"Maybe he isn't even coming back," he chuckled as if it were an ordinary thing to joke about.

The room fell quiet, and I looked over at Taehyung who tensed up right away.

I quickly grasped his hand underneath the table, but the man wouldn't look at me, and I could feel his anxiety rise.

"Stop it," Namjoon said, glaring at the kitchenhelp in a way that made even me sit up straighter.

"Don't intentionally try to hurt Taehyung and Jungkook. And don't joke about that. What if Jimin indeed isn't coming back? You'll be homeless along with everyone else in this house. We'll be on the streets again with nowhere to go. Is that funny to you?"

Yoongi shrunk into himself, gulping harshly as he shook his head. "N-no..."

I was thankful that Namjoon had stepped in. That even when the man was grieving, his moral compass still worked.

But suddenly I lost contact to Taehyung's hand, and the man abruptly rose from his seat without speaking a word.

"Tae?" I asked, staring up at the groundskeeper with parted lips.

Taehyung didn't spare me a glance before walking out of the room, not even excusing himself as if he'd been taken over by another entity.

All eyes at the table shifted towards me.

"Go after him," Namjoon said as he pointed his spoon to the doorway.

I felt my face heat up, nodding quickly as I got up from my seat and nearly ran after the groundskeeper to figure out what had gotten into him so suddenly.