Brightening What Was Dark

A/n: sorrryy for not updating in a while.  Exams were kind of killing me.

"Yes! Finally! Yes!" I victoriously threw my hands into the air, leaning back on my desk chair as I smiled at the ceiling.

The stubborn little pocket watch in front of me had sprung open as if it had never been so firmly shut in the first place, sitting on my desk with it's face finally revealed.

I sighed, a weight dropping from my shoulders and leaving me so much lighter than before.

Finally I could start working on the damned thing. How was it possible for the easiest step to have taken this long?

"Jungkook? Jungkook?"

I looked to my bedroom door, my hands lowering slightly from the air. "Tae?"

The groundskeeper revealed himself not a moment later, looking concerned as if he'd expected to find me trapped in a fire or in some other great danger.

"I... I heard you shouting..." the man said, before pursing his lips as he realised his mistake. He laughed awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck as his cheeks coloured red.

"You're too kind," I chuckled, leaning my chin on the palm of my hand as I admired the view of the groundskeeper standing lost  my doorpost.

"But I simply found a way to open Jimin's pocket watch. I guess I got a little too excited... sorry."

"Oh," Taehyung nodded, and the silence I allowed into the conversation made the man even more uneasy.

The groundskeeper's eyes fell to the floor, and he seemed ashamed of how overdramatically he had reacted.

"I-in that case I'll leave... but I also wanted to ask if you needed me to mail that letter to your sister," the man finally said. "I'm heading to the city tomorrow anyway so..."

Taehyung partly hid himself behind my door like a child who was too scared to tell his parents he had a nightmare.

"No... that's okay," I said as I shook my hand, a bitter feeling creeping towards my heart.

I looked up at the man, some of my smile falling away. He wouldn't understand... I thought. He wouldn't get it.

Taehyung seemed confused by my answer but didn't ask further, which made me grateful.

Instead he simply nodded as if I made sense.

"Alright then," he said quietly. "I'll leave you to your work... sorry to bother..."

My brows twitched into a frown at Taehyung's unusual formality. He seemed distant somehow, and I didn't understand why.

"Is Jimin okay?" I asked, hoping to stop the man from leaving so soon. "Did he fall asleep?"

Taehyung nodded and shook his head at the same time, giving me an answer that was everything but clear.

"He wanted to read... so I let him. Perhaps he'll fall asleep later..."

I hummed, the sadness of Taehyung's face copying onto mine.

"I'm sorry..." was all I could come up with, hoping to show Taehyung that his sorrow was shared. I didn't know what caused Jimin's sleepless nights. His nightmares. His fear of hurting people. But I could see that the boy's pain tortured the groundskeeper deeply, and if I were honest, my heart was silently suffering as well.

"I wish there was something I could do..." I whispered.

Taehyung's lips perked up. "You do help velike oči..." he said reassuringly. "The way you calmed Jimin down today... even without knowing him too well... you made him see reason again."