Darkness And Light

There were days when we never left the bed. Days when we never left the room unless it was to clean ourselves. Days when all we did was cuddle, as being able to embrace one another was enough to scare off the darkness.

The house, it was our kingdom, our world. We were safe there, together, hidden away from reality in a perfect dream.

And as summer pulled away, making way for a golden autumn followed by a freezing winter. We made sure that our shelter stayed flourishing no matter how many times we had to mis a vital part of our mechanism. When Jimin was gone, and Taehyung and I had to do our best to please each other, we kept each other company, Jimin's absence burning into our hearts when we'd desperately try to fill up the empty space he left behind.

And when our master came back home from Italy, wearing that dreadful look in his eyes of a person who's mind had been tortured, Taehyung and I could always find a way to bring him back to us. We saved him from drowning every time, committed to keeping his precious soul alive.

So much time flew by like just like that. I was twenty-three now, but it felt like it was only yesterday when I was just a boy, and I was busy imagening an entirely different future for myself.

The fireplace crackled and it's ambient golden light made the library feel cozy.

Winter snow had coloured the windows white and though outside the wind was freezing the earth, inside our home our hearts kept us warm.

"Your birthday is in a week... isn't it?" I asked Jimin as I lay against Taehyung's chest on the couch, the millionaire sitting in his reading chair next to the fireplace as he read us both a boring book about economics that had quickly put Taehyung into a deep slumber.

Jimin looked up from the thick book in his hands, stopping his reading to give me a weak smile.

Four years had gone by. Four years and still he looked the same as he did when I first met him. The insecurity that hid behind those beautiful dark eyes. As if even after all this time, the man still didn't believe he deserved any of my attention. Not him. Not a monster.

"You're right Tesoro," Jimin said, smirking as he gazed through the raven strands of his fringe. "There hasn't been a year when you've let me forget."

I smiled at the millionaire, parting my lips to speak though I flinched when Taehyung snored loudly enough to awaken himself. His eyes sprang open and he snapped his head around as if he wasn't the one who had made the startling sound in the first place.

Jimin and I chuckled, looking fondly at our dear groundskeeper.

"Soon I will be as old as Taehyungie," Jimin said as he turned a page in his book.

"Old?" Taehyung asked groggily. "Who are you calling old? I'm only twenty-eight!"

Jimin glanced away, acting innocent.

"Calm down love," I laughed as I wrapped my arms and legs tightly around his body. "We'll only start calling you old when the grey hairs show."

"You mean grow."

"He said what he said mio amore," Jimin teased with a cheeky smirk, trying to hide his amusement as he dove back into his book.

Taehyung rolled his eyes, muttering something in croatian that didn't sound all too kind. My angels bantering was one of the things that truly hadn't changed with time, and yet no matter how annoying it could get, I found myself unable to ever live without it.

"You'll celebrate your birthday at the house right?" I asked Jimin, who nodded without meeting my eyes.

I saw the man's hands tighten around the book cover, his fingertips turning white.