The Puppet Master

A/n: guess who's being irresponsible with her eyes ( ╹▽╹ )

The night passed us comfortably.

After some convincing, I finally admitted that the chicken in my stew really was raw, and so Taehyung and I decided to cook dinner together while Jimin sat by us, keeping us company on the counter as he read aloud A Study In Scarlet, from a book I once bought but never opened.

We all took turns in guessing who would be the murderer, and discussed it further over bowls of potato and onion soup at the dinner table, at some point arguing so fiercely I feared the neighbours would knock on the door to complain.

We laughed and settled ourselves in the living room, me sitting on the floor with Taehyung on my lap, and Jimin on the reading chair right behind us, his fingers playing with my hair as he read.

We stayed like that for what must've been hours, until Taehyung fell asleep with his face buried safely in the crook of my neck, and Jimin's voice had turned to a low whisper.

I had never felt more calm, while I hadn't expected to feel so content ever again. But I was happy. I was so happy my smile wouldn't leave. And it was enough. In that moment, it truly was enough.

When Jimin finished the chapter, I turned my head, looking up at him with a sleepy smile, which he returned beautifully.

"I think we should call it a night," I murmured, pushing myself up and cradling Taehyung against my chest.

Jimin stood as well, the book tucked in his arms. I chuckled, and I kissed his head, which only served to make him blush.

"Goodnight then," he whispered, his eyes dark and twinkling in the moonlight.

I hesitated, holding Taehyung's limp body closer against me.

"You know that you are welcome," I said softly. "Our bed may be small but it can fit the three of us quite well."

Jimin smiled, looking down at his hands. "I think... I'll stay out here on the chair..."

"Of course," I said, nodding quickly. "Whatever you want dear. The invitation stands though..."

Jimin bit his lip, standing up on his tippy toes to kiss my cheek. "Goodnight Tesoro."

I felt my lips curl up and I smirked. "Goodnight Jimin."

~~

I carried my flowerboy to our bedroom, slipping off his trousers and collared shirt to take him into my arms under the covers. He shifted in his sleep, turning so that his chest was pressed against my back and his arm rested on my waist. I smiled, holding his hand in mine when sleep called to me, warm and deep and comforting.

It wasn't too much later however, when I was awakened again by the feeling of someone shaking my shoulder, and I blinked blearily when I called out.

"Jimin?"

"Sshh..." His voice was soft, and I could just make out his silhouette standing beside the bed. I ran my hand over my face, concern prickling at my skin.

"I'm sorry I woke you..."

"What's wrong? Are you alright?"

"Ssh," he hushed me again, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I am fine. I... I only... I could not sleep, and you said that I could come in here if..."

I let out a relieved breath. "Oh. of course... Yeah. Of course beautiful, you can sleep here."

I moved back a little to make more room and he crawled in, settling beside me. I tucked the blankets over his body, reaching blindly until I found his hand and laced my fingers with his. His skin was freezing, and I pressed a kiss to his neck, murmuring. "Are you sure you're alright?"