Playing Pretend

"Jimin? Emilio isn't going to surprise us by walking around the corner later, is he?"

The millionaire and I entered the stables, the smell of manure instantly hitting my nose with the force of a train.

It was just the two of us in the early afternoon, as Taehyung had kissed us both goodbye before the sun had even awoken, setting off to go get Jimin's family doctor in the city.

I had never really ridden a horse before, but when Jimin told me how much he enjoyed doing it, I didn't need to think twice about asking him to teach me.

I pinched the bridge of my nose, but Jimin slapped my hand away as if it were illegal for me to do so.

"Just get used to the smell tesoro," he said with an eye roll, locking our fingers together to drag me towards one of the three horses standing in the stables.

He led me straight to the biggest one first, a horse so dark I had nearly mistaken it for a shadow.

The large animal stuck it's head out of it's stall and I flinched backwards, balling my fists to fight the creature as if it was planning to attack me.

"Tesoro! don't act so foolish," Jimin said sharply as he pushed my shoulder, making my defensive stance falter.

The boy took the horse's head in his hands and soothed it, his eyes turned to crescents as he connected his forehead with the animal's muzzle.

"Don't mind him Smeraldo... una volta che ti conoscerà ti adorerà."

"Smeraldo? Is that it's name?" I asked, watching the heartwarming scene with a reasonable amount of distance between me and the horse.

"His name yes," Jimin said. "He's a Friesian horse... isn't he beautiful?"

I nodded hesitantly, though I wasn't ready to come closer just yet.

"Mi sei mancata la mia bellezza..." Jimin whispered as his fingers combed through the horse's long black manes. "Mi dispiace di non aver visitato per così tanto tempo."

I repressed the urge to ask Jimin what he was saying, knowing he would never tell me because the boy liked keeping his secrets more than anyone I'd ever met.

"Is... Is that the horse I have to-"

"No," Jimin said right away. "Smeraldo is mine. You can take Rose."

The boy gave the black Friesian one last peck on his nose before showing me the horse next to Smeraldo's stall.

The animal was big, but not as big as Smeraldo, it's hair coat a light brown close to golden, and it's manes a yellowish blonde I'd never seen on a horse before. It's colours were the complete opposite of Smeraldo's, but it was just as magnificent.

"Pet her," Jimin said, nudging his head at Rose as I stood petrified.

I looked from Jimin to the horse and back to Jimin, but edged closer as I gathered my confidence.

"O-okay..." I said, taking a small step forward. "H-hello Rose how is your day? Mine's fine thank you..."

I carefully reached out my hand, the fear of the animal suddenly biting all of my fingers off still hiding in the back of my mind.

But opposite to what I was afraid of the horse seemed scared to let me touch her at first, backing away as if I were a monster. I chuckled, her nervous eyes reminding me of myself when she eventually met my hand halfway. I tangled my fingers through the horse's hair, my uneasiness leaving as we both grew more comfortable.