Shared Pain

A/n: uhm... mature content? lmao like anyone here cares but ok. beware ಠ﹏ಠ

I'd been standing in front of the door to the basement for a while now, resting against the wall in darkness as I wondered if anyone other than mister Park would miss the stable boy if he suddenly happened to mysteriously disappear.

Why did Jimin tolerate that man's existence around him? Why did he allow himself to he treated like garbage?

I knew thinking of murder was foolish since the risk of getting caught was simply too great, and I had my sister to lose. But there was no way I was going to allow that stable boy to speak so rudely to Jimin ever again.

I waited outside of Taehyung's atelier, building up the confidence to face the man, needing his wise words to calm me down the way they always did. Because even if the man didn't help make things make sense, atleast he made me feel like it wasn't that bad to be clueless.

I hoped Taehyung wasn't still reluctant to talk to me. This morning made me feel as if he regretted what happened last night, and the thought alone made me want to light up a sigarette.

I opened the door as quietly as I could, stepping into the basement without Taehyung noticing my presence.

When Jin and Namjoon told me the groundskeeper usually painted in the basement I didn't expect much but a dusty and ill-lit workplace, but the room was actually quite wonderful.

It was warm and cozy, and an impressive halo of candles illuminated nearly a dozen beautiful paintings. They were stored in corners against the wall that didn't give them the best ability to show Taehyung's artistry, but I could see they were impressive.

Paintings of fruit, cutlery, the garden, flowers, portraits of the other servants. I was surprised by what I saw, yet amused by the groundskeeper.

The man was so immersed in his work he still hadn't noticed me, so I took a seat on a random chair in the room, and simply sat there watching him, observing the wild man as he followed his passion.

Taehyung hummed a happy tune and stuck out the tip of his tounge as he painted, occasionlly peeking at his model that was a single withered rose, standing lonely in a vase.

My heart swelled each time the man hung his mouth open to focuse on some tiny details, and his humming would quiet down only for him too step back, smile at what he'd done, and continue humming with more excitement.

"It's pretty," I said, hoping to finally let the groundskeeper know I was there after staring for a while.

"Thank you," Taehyung said, though he did not spare me a look and kept working, making me think that my presence had not quite gotten through to him yet.

After a small moment though, the groundskeeper froze, realisation hitting him, and he slowly looked to me with a large smile on his face that made me chuckle.

"Hello," I said a shyly, tensing up on the chair as I braced myself for Taehyung's reaction.

The groundskeeper laughed, setting down his brush before walking over.

He combed a hand through his hair, and I could see he'd tried tuck into a bun, but it was failing to stay together, locks and strands escaping and laying free on his shoulder.

Even the man's face had turned into a colourful piece of art, dots and wipes of paint tainting his cheeks and forehead quite comically.

"I'm sorry velike oči," he chuckled. "I did not notice you. When I paint... I..."

"Forget the world?" I interrupted as I cocked my head, grabbing the handkerchief from my pocket that I had learned to carry from the many times I'd cried in this place within such a short period.