Fated Lovers

"Those bad people my father got involved with..."

Taehyung spoke softly as he sat crosslegged on his bed.

"It was the mafia..." he revealed, though I had secretly already guessed that to be the truth some time ago.

"Or more specifically Jimin's father... my dad had a gambling debt he couldn't pay off so they... they killed him. When they realised he had a son living with him, Jimin's father met with me... and instead of killing me as well, he decided I could be of use in a different way. He had me trained to be a servant... to be Jimin's butler, and he let me live in return for my complete loyalty to his son. I had to listen to Jimin's every demand no matter what, and I had to be his best friend..."

Taehyung's expression became unreadable to me.

"When... when I met Jimin he changed my entire world. I fell in love with him... I didn't need to act as if I were his friend, and I didn't have to think before I gave him anything he wanted from me..."

I stared at Taehyung, and how the man's lips edged up for a split second as if the memories of falling in love for the first time still warmed his heart.

"But Jimin... he knew what his father had told me. He knew I had been forced to be by his companion, and so he could never truly see how I felt about him. Time has passed... years in which I've tried to make him understand that my feelings are true and not some type of sherlock holmes syndrome... or whatever Jimin called it."

Taehyung's shoulders drooped in defeat. "I will never be enough for him... and I've had to learn to accept that."

I grabbed Taehyung's hand, taking in the things he was telling me as I could finally make sense of everything.

When the groundskeeper told me he could only leave once Jimin would send him away... he was being literal, I realised, and it made me wonder how many more clues I had missed.

"Is Emilio like you?" I asked, subcontiously stroking Taehyung's fingers. "Did he get in trouble with Jimin's father?"

Taehyung nodded. "He was the one that got into a gambling debt, and he also couldn't pay up. He was to be killed along with his wife not to leave any loose ends, and that would be it."

I frowned, the cruelty of that logic striking me.

"Jimin stopped it all from happening though. He'd been brought along to witness the execution, and I guess he felt sorry for him, because he somehow convinced his father to make Emilio his servant."

Taehyung pursed his lips, and I already knew that things did not end up that way.

"Don Park can be a cruel man," Taehyung continued bitterly, and it felt weird to hear him call Jimin's father that way. "Emilio did end up working for Jimin... but his wife was still murdered..."

For a small moment, I felt a hint of sympathy for the stable boy, as I could never wish for anyone to lose their loved one like that. Not even Emilio.

"Jimin saved Emilio's life, but he felt terrible about the man's wife getting killed. I guess in an attempt to ease his guilt, Jimin allowed Emilio to mistreat him, but Emilio was never even into men. He was a prisoner at this house, and his only guard was a destructive 17 year old kid that was trying his hardest to feel like he wasn't a monster yet. What they had was toxic... but it's over now."

I took a sharp breath, balling my fists as my sympathy for Emilio left as quickly as it came and the hate returned.

"He is dead isn't be?" I asked with a trembling voice, looking at Taehyung from the corner of my eyes.