Fifty One

Songs for this chapter:

Why - Russ

All at Once - The Fray

505 - Artic Monkeys

Madison's POV

"Is it dumb that I feel nervous to meet them?" Nate asked.

"No!" I said as I giggled. "It's cute."

"What's your dad like with your other boyfriends?" He asked.

"Uh..." I trailed off as I scratched my head.

"Was that triggering?" He asked. "You know what, forget i asked that. It was dumb." He quickly said, not giving me time to answer. He had asked about Jason once before and I had told him that I didn't like talking about him because it was triggering for me. He was a little scared and paranoid when we first started going out, so I did have to tell him a little backstory about us, and reassure him he wouldn't do anything to him.

I sighed as I looked into his eyes. He's always been so patient with me, and so understanding. Maybe I should just let him ask me whatever he wants.

"Well, uh... Justin and Dad were business associates before we started dating so... he naturally liked him." I said. "Justin?" Nate asked confused. "Wait, that was Jason's fake name, right?" I pursed my lips and nodded.

"Did he know his real identity?" He asked. I shook my head and said "No. Justin had an actual business, besides you know. And he was very successful. Besides that, he was kind, charismatic, charming... and really smart." I said, trailing off. "So, my family thought he was good for me. None of us thought for a second that there was a possibility of him being... well..."

"A serial killer." Nate finished my sentence for me. I looked down as I began to feel uncomfortable with this conversation.

I was so blindly in love with Jason that I never thought of him like that. Every time we were together it was like... I don't know. He was like a completely different guy. He was just Jason. My boyfriend.

"You know... I don't know if this makes you uncomfortable but, after you said you were with him, I looked him up." Nate said. "And I saw some pictures of what they alleged to be your neck with hand marks in it." "Was that really you?" He asked me.

I nodded.

"Was he always violent?"

"No." I quickly answered. "He was never like that." I whispered.

"Never?" He questioned, not believing me.

"No." I said. He kept staring at me, probably accusing me of being a liar in his head.

"He thought I was the one who had ratted him out to the cops." I said. "So he strangled you?" He asked. "That doesn't justify it. I thought you said he was 'kind'."