Seventy Nine

Madison's POV

I let out a yawn and reached to grab Jason's pillow next to me, holding it against my body.

I rested my face against it and stared off at the ring on my finger.

Ezra was right. Even though I was there when it happened, it doesn't make up for the time I wasn't there. Now I regret it.

I just thought that he'd eventually change his mind, that he'd maybe try to break out of there. He never even tried. He just decided he didn't want to be alive anymore and ended it. Ended himself.

How am I supposed to go on with my life?

What was he thinking?

He really expected me to be understanding? He couldn't bear it when I cut myself, which I didn't do to kill myself, but I have to be okay with him doing this?

He left me. All alone.

I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep so I can get an escape from this shitty reality. But my phone began ringing, making me open my eyes.

I checked who it was, my dad. He probably heard about the miscarriage, but I really don't want to talk about it, or to him, at all. I can't believe he'd voluntarily do something like that. How could he? He's always seen Jason as family, he helped him in his trial, and now he does this? It just doesn't make sense.

The call ended and I was able to look at my phone screen, noticing many texts from my friends, and how late in the day it already was.

I sighed and turned off my phone. I just want to be disconnected from everyone and everything.

I got up to close the curtains completely, and turned off the lights so I could lay down in the dark and make it easier to sleep. I laid down, closed my eyes and finally drifted off.

I heard a loud thud coming from downstairs and jumped up, waking myself up. I was so profoundly asleep that now that I was awake I wasn't able to distinguish if the noise I heard was real or part of my dream.

I reached for my phone and turned it on to check the time.

I heard another noise and my heart began to beat faster. I turned on the lamp next to the bed and thought about what to do. Who could possibly be breaking in?

The first person that came to my mind was Nate. I know Jason has many enemies, but he's dead now, what could they possibly want? Nate knows this location, he followed me here that time, and he's a psychopath.

I went into Jason's closet and unlocked his safe, where I knew he had a gun stashed. I took it and silently made my way downstairs.

I could hear voices coming from the living room, but I couldn't distinguish it. I wasn't sure if it was him or not, but I was inclining more into the possibility that it was someone else.

There were two different voices. Now I was getting a little scared, but... I really have nothing to lose.

I hid behind a wall and fixed my grip on the gun. I've only shot a gun once, and it was while Jason guided me, I have no idea what I'm doing.

My plan was to wait until they left the living room and shoot, but they were taking too long. I think one of them got hurt, I could hear groaning.

I figured I should just go in now, and kick them out. Because I'm not going to be the one leaving.

I walked in and unlocked the gun, which made a clicking sound. One of them was sitting on the couch and the other one, that was helping him, slowly turned around.