Ending A

(Yuu)

There he was laying on the ground, bleeding out. Ray was on the verge of passing out and needed a moment to catch his breath, but the shock was so big for Mikaela that more than enough time. Ray had managed to get ahold of his gun during that time and well, I'm sure you can guess what came next.

"This is pathetic," Mika stared up at the ceiling, his speech was slow and we all knew the end was near, "I knew I never should've trusted you." I collapsed onto my knees right beside him and he let his head fall to the side in order to look at me, "At least you'll probably be the last thing I ever see. I'm not sure if I'm too happy about that though."

"Shut up, Mikaela." I could feel the tears streaming down my face at this point. He was going to die, and I wasn't sure if I regretted what I had done or not, "You got what you had coming."

"Don't cry, Yuu-Chan," he tried to life his hand up to wipe my tears, but it was useless, "isn't this what you wanted? Finally free. You should be happy. Can't you just pretend to be happy?"

"Shut the fuck up. Do you always have to be so condescending?" I held his hand, it was even colder than usual.

Ray was standing on the other side of Mika, he found this delightful. But I could tell even he had some sympathy. Everyone was always a saint on their death bed.

"I don't really want my last words to be something dumb, so I might as well try and be a little deep. Like an edgy 14 year old girl," he laughed, causing him to cough up some blood, "God. You know, I've apologized before, but I really am sorry. As fucked up as it is I do love you. We'll try again in another life. Does that sound good?"

I sighed, "I don't think I have the right to say no."

He smiled, "No, I guess not. But still, I'll be waiting."

Then, everything stopped. Mikaela Shindo was no more and there was a corpse laying in the middle of the hallway.

"I'm glad that's finally done with," Ray scratched the back of his neck as he pulled out his phone, "one second later and that would've been me. What a scary thought." He joked.

One second more. That's all it would've taken for this situation to be so different right now.

One second more.

I stepped outside into the cold air and something I wasn't expecting happened.

"Ray, it's snowing."

...

(4 years later)

"Finally came back to see your dear old dads?" Guren asked as he threw a Santa hat onto my head.

"Might as well visit for Christmas, can't leave my wonderful father hanging, and you, of course." I laughed.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. How's college?" He asked.

"Good, Asher's been really good about setting things up for the future." I said.

"I always liked him, I'm glad you decided to marry him. He's way too good for this world but someone definitely needed to bag him." Guren said.

"I-uh-I brought him with me," I pointed around the corner to Ash, no more died hair, no more contacts, just Asher.

"Yo," He waved, "I agree, I'm super great, but you're not so bad yourself," he slung his arm over my shoulder, " Plus you're in college, the tax benefits are effing amazing."

"Oh god," My dad sighed as he walked out of the kitchen, "Guren, can you please come help me? Yuu will be fine."

"Yep." He said as he instantly ran to Shinya's aid.

Asher wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his chin on my shoulder, "I know this might not be the best conversation topic, but I keep forgetting to ask. Did you visit his grave again this year?"

"Yeah. Of course I did. It snowed, just like it does every year." I sighed.

"Yeah, indeed it did." He stared down at me.

"How are things with you know who?" I asked.

Asher shrugged, "He doesn't like me and that's perfectly fine with me. Brighton and Tightous are finally getting married though. I think him and Sunni are together now."

"That poor poor woman." I joked.

"Fuck them, they're not important right now. Let's just enjoy this." He smiled brightly.

"Heh, you're certainly right. Those people need Jesus, and I'm an atheist." I was a lot more joyful now. 4 years changes you. I wouldn't say that I felt happy, but I was content most of the time. My friends were great, my family was great, school was great. Everything was perfect.

But I still couldn't stop the thoughts that flowed into my head every once and a while. Shinoa, Mitsuba, Yoichi, Kimizuki, and Mikaela. This time of year the Mikaela thoughts were especially frequent. I made a point to visit his grave every year. I felt nothing about him anymore. I didn't care. But I still essentially killed him. I feel like I owe him this much. No, I knew I didn't owe him anything. It was more or less a way to ease my conscience.

"Ash, do you know what keeps me up the most at night?" I asked.

"Hmm?" He let me know he was listening.

"I actually sunk to his level at the end. I did the very thing I hated him so much for. Isn't that fucked?" I asked as I poured myself some spiked apple cider, "God knows I'll need this."

"You did what you had to," Ash took a sip from my cup, "I can look into getting you back into therapy if those thoughts are bothering you again."

"Thank you, you really are too good for this world. But I don't think I need to go back," I said, "I just wonder about different outcomes sometimes. Buuuut, this is good enough for me." I planted a kiss on his cheek, "It's snowing today too. White Christmases are always so pretty."

One second more. I've never been more happy I didn't hesitate.

While I may have still held some guilt and regret, I was happy to be alive and living my own life. I might've been a little fucked up and probably would be for the rest of my life, but I was free. That was good enough for me.

...

I mean, I think this is technically speaking the best ending.