CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
C o n t i n u a t i o n

"I'm glad that you agreed to eat lunch with me," I said, taking a seat across from Leandra. Instead of the catering service showing up at the building, we all headed to a restaurant for our one-hour lunch break, and I was spending this 'lovely' hour with Leandra. I ordered myself a barbecue chicken salad, and I couldn't wait to try it while Leandra ordered the steak, shrimp, and broccoli meal.

"Well, you asked directly in front of me, and I couldn't say no if I tried," She answered, placing her fists on the table. "So, what's the reasoning for this?"

"Uh, I'd like to clear the air and let go of any bad vibes that we seem to have," I stated. "I don't know about you, but I'm tired of the back and forth. It's petty and very childish. We're both grown, and we don't have to have a friendship or anything, but we could be cordial, I mean..."

"Well, Davidson...for starters, I don't understand why it bothers you that I don't want to talk to you about my personal life," She sighed. "We're not friends, so why does it matter to you? Since we both work as assistants for the production company, you think that makes us more than just co-workers all because you have some kind of relationship with the rest of the workers at the company,"

"So being cornered for someone makes me a bad person?" I laughed. "I'm quite clear that I was only showing you concerned as a person, not a friend because as I told you before, I don't want to be your friend, so can we move on from that topic, please?"

"I'm sure you don't," She grinned as her eyes followed the food that got delivered to our table. "Thank you so much. It looks good."

"Thank you!" I told the server, checking out the barbecue chicken salad, and covered with ranch and barbecue sauce. "Everything looks great. I can't wait to eat this!"

"Not a problem, enjoy your meals," The server grinned, leaving our booth.

"Back to what I was telling you... You think because you have everyone else in the palm of your hand and that Brandon gives you a few compliments that I'm supposed to like you, that's fun—,"

"You mean, Mr. McKnight?" I corrected her, lifting a brow, wiping my fork with a napkin as I placed it into my salad and took a swift bite. "Ooh, all the flavors of this salad is subpar,"

"Yes, Mr. McKnight," She rolled her eyes, cutting her steak with a knife. "But I agree that we could keep it cordial. I'll give you this advice; not everyone is going to like you. Once you accept that fact, then we'll be good. I had to learn the fact that nobody likes me because I'm still here and I'm in a good position,"

"I'll like to leave you with a little advice of my own," I told her, sipping on my drink. "I've noticed a few things and a few slip-ups that you've made, including today. I want you to know that I know, and I suggest you be cautious. It's only a warning, and I don't have any plan to take you down because you thought before that I wanted your job? I don't. I just want you to be careful, and I don't want you getting in any trouble..."

I didn't want to admit that I knew what I knew to her, but I gave her an idea of what I knew, and from the look on her face, I had her where I wanted her. I was not thinking of taking her job or trying to be vicious or anything of the sort. I wanted her to sweat and realize that the high horse of hers-- could be knocked down.

If she were to go to Mr. McKnight, I would have the evidence from my cellphone, and I wouldn't hesitate to put it out if I had to protect myself.

"What do you want? I knew you were sneaky..." Leandra gasped.

"I don't want anything from you, Ms. Hendricks, not a thing," I answered truthfully, eating my salad. "It's just a warning."

"If this is how you act, then I just might like you," Leandra admitted, eating her steak. "I knew the innocent role was not you at all. You have some kind of vendetta that I find intriguing. I don't think you want to take down anyone, but you still have a plan for something, and it's weird that I still don't think you're some evil person..."