Pein- Realization

You noticed it out of the corner of your eyes. The small blush that decorated Leader's face when he would stare off into the distance. He cleared his throat when he noticed you looking at him with a raised eyebrow. You smiled. It was painfully obvious; he was in love.

You adjusted the stack of papers on the desk as you thought briefly. You didn't know a lot about love, or how to ask someone out, but you could help him. After all, it must be Konan he's after. He would always have her on his team for most of his missions. And he would be so red in the face the moment he would return to the lair.

Still, you couldn't shake the sinking feeling in your heart as you pieced it together; Pein with Konan. It only made sense...

Love? It should never cross your mind. You were never meant to have a happily ever after. You were of noble blood, true; but the experimentation on your body shredded your pedigree. Orochimaru would be looking for you soon, anyway. You would survive. You survived this long without emotion tinging your every action; why is this any different?

Perhaps, you sighed as it caused Pein's gaze to shift to your back, you wished it was you; to be saved from the pain of being you? You had to admit, these emotions are quite strange. He hurt you and forced you into the Akatsuki, did he not?

No, you made the choice to join. You weren't afraid of death, you facepalmed as you realized it, you joined for him...

"Y/N?" Pein spoke to you as you straighten out the scrolls on the desk. Today of all days, he had to notice you fidgeting... "The festival is in town."

"Oh?" you tried to sound cool and concise, but it ended coming out strangled. You cleared your throat.

"It has food and fireworks?"

"Sounds...grand. I'm sure that Konan would love to go with you?" you offered a smile, cringing at the stab sensation you felt in your chest.

"She's taking someone already," he shook his head, "... May I take you instead?" I suppose I could let him use me as a jealousy static? It would hurt but it would make him happier to be with her than me, anyway. Right?

"Should I dress up?" you asked softly. Torture. You knew you were torturing yourself; but if this will make him happy, it would be worth the pain. Sparing him the pain and taking it upon yourself...

How selfless of you...

"... I can't take this anymore!" he snapped, pulling you into his arms, "I want to date you, Y/N! Stop with the cold, distant look in your eyes!" You took a step back, eyes widening in surprise. It never dawned on you that you were the object of his affections. Things started to make a bit more sense...

"I was under the impression that you wanted Konan?" you asked breathlessly.

"Konan likes women," he sighed, shaking his head, "And is more like my sister than anything else. And all I want is you... Y/N... That cold look in your eyes isn't natural; it's formulaic and it's been driving me crazy. " His breathing hitched as his hand traced the side of your face. "I'm curious; what if warmth is sparked behind them? Your eyes are already so beautiful in this blank expression; I want to see them aflame." Your face heated up under his gentle gaze.

"... OK. I'll date you. On one condition: you're not allowed to run me through ever again?" You smiled at him, feeling your own heart speed.

"That's a promise. Now, let's go to the festival?"