Itachi- Realization

"Kisame?" You yawned, rubbing your eyes as the shark man winced. "What is it?"

"Y/N, I hate to get involved with Itachi's business," he sighed, "But he's been distracted as of late, so I figured I'd help."

"Oh..." you thought quickly. Itachi has been kind of distant lately, less detail-oriented. You assumed it had to do with his 'lifelong mission'. Not that it mattered to you; as long as he was safe, you really could care less about his free time...

"You don't know what I'm talking about, do you?" Kisame facepalmed, dragging it down his face.

"Not really, but I can still help," You commented, slipping on your cloak, "What do you need me to do?"

"You know, Itachi gets extremely thirsty around you..." Kisame hinted,

"...So I should carry around extra water, then? Will that help?" You asked, itching the back of your head. Kisame sighed.

"Yes, that will help," he gave up.  He knew Itachi loved you, but he was too stubborn to admit it. Kisame hoped you would pick up on the hint, but you're very dense when it came to emotions yourself. Not that it mattered; you didn't exactly know how to process them...

"All right, then," you shrugged. Kisame left to go on a solo mission, putting his hands behind his head. He tried his best...

XXXXX
*2 months later*

Itachi raised an eyebrow as you handed him a full water bottle as he paused to wipe the sweat from his brow. This has been going on for weeks, you giving him water as he trained. He guzzled it all.

"Thanks, Y/N," he smiled softly at you, "Although, I am curious; why do you do that?"

"Do what?" You asked as you took the water bottle back for a refill.

"Hand me water while I train like this? I admit it's quite helpful, but I don't understand why you do that..."

"Oh, Kisame said something about that. He said you were always extremely thirsty around me? So I've been carrying extra water to help you," you smiled as Itachi turned beet red.

"He. Said. What?!" His voice came out half-strangled. You raised an eyebrow at his outburst.

"Kisame told me that you got extra thirsty around me... why? Is something the matter?" You asked, obviously concerned.

"...Those were his exact words, Y/N?" He pinched the bridge of his nose. He was very displeased, that much was certain.

"Yes," you nodded, confused. "Are you all right?"

"...I'm going to kill him," he sighed, as you offered him more water. "Y/N, I do not need water. Thank you." He was agitated at Kisame and ended up snapping at you, making your eyes flash in concern.

"Then what do you need?" You sounded frazzled, as Itachi trembled. Watching you with the sun overhead made his heart hurt. Especially when the leaves were changing color and drifting around you.

Autumn... the Season of Death and of Loss...

"Itachi?! You're-you're crying..." You reached out to him. Instinctively, he pulled you into his arms and sealed your lips with a kiss.

"I tried... God knows I've tried..." he sighed, "I tried so very hard to not fall in love with you. I have my mission, I have my life to live until the bitter end, but I cannot ignore you any longer, Y/N... I love you..."

"...Oh, so that's what Kisame meant?!" You flushed scarlet. "...Can we kill him?"

"Yes, we'll kill him..." he smiled at you, gently touching your nose, "But first, may I enjoy holding you in my arms?"

You smiled and nodded, as Itachi rested his chin on your head. He did smell faintly of black licorice and roses... such a comforting scent...

"You smell heavenly, Itachi," you smiled into his robes.

"You, do, too, Y/N. My love..."