Kakuzu- Realization

You smirked, killing the bounty in one precise hit of your arrow. Is there anything easier than killing? You headed toward the bounty office with the body in tow; over your shoulder, as usual. You paused as you saw Kakuzu and Hidan arguing at the steps. You rolled your eyes; more often than not, you were forced to tag along to their missions. Not that you minded; Kakuzu was more focused on the missions, but Hidan could use a lot of work...

Perhaps you should behead him and leave him for dead like the last mission you did? Although, you shuttered, you didn't want to hear it from Leader again. Kakuzu had to drag him home in pieces because of you.

Interestingly enough, everyone simply smiled and told you that Kakuzu would have done that if you didn't beat him to it. It made you raise an eyebrow, and have a more profound respect for Kakuzu that would not still your beating heart.

You had to admit it, even to yourself, that you have grown accustomed to Kakuzu. He was... well...

You shook your head, a small blush erupting across your face, as you neared the men.

"Tell her, you old fart!" Hidan demanded.

"She won't feel the same about me, Hidan. It's obvious..." Your heart shattered at those words. Of course, Kakuzu was in love with someone else. That's why he acted so strange these last few missions, even going so far as to refuse to go on bounties with you, or even refusing treatment of his wounds. He didn't want you and didn't want to lead you on. You should have known.

You wiped away the moisture that gathered in your eyes. You thought that the murder of your family drained you of all emotion; perhaps there was some residue left, after all...

You took a deep breath and iced your hurting heart, nearing the office as they continued their conversation without care or notice of you.

"Look, Kakuzu, we're going on a 2 week-long mission soon!" Hidan snapped at him, "If you don't ask that bow trigger-happy bitch-"

"Y/N! Her name is Y/N, and if you call my woman a bitch again, Hid-" you dropped the body from your grasp, wide-eyed as the sound alerted them to your presence.

"...Your woman?!" you asked in shock as Kakuzu turned red, rushing out of the area. He was embarrassed to the point of leaving his cases full of money behind. Hidan laughed hysterically, falling to his knees as you processed the situation. Kakuzu was avoiding you, not because he didn't like you, but because he didn't know how to approach you...

Oh, how... idiotic of you to assume it was someone else... You facepalmed with a chuckle. It was obvious now...

"Please, tell me you heard it all, bitch," Hidan begged as you sighed, turning to him with dead cold eyes. Hidan didn't stand down from your glare, like he normally did. You raised an eyebrow at his sudden braveness.

"Yes, I did hear it all," ice dripped from your tone.

"What'cha gonna do about it?" Hidan snickered as you balled up your hand in anger. He should have known better than to push your buttons...

XXXXX

"... Kakuzu," you murmured, after knocking on his door. The money was already counted and tied neatly in their cases as he opened the door. His eyes popped open at the sight of you, but quickly narrowed on the cases of money. "... You left these at the bounty office. I've already taken the liberty of counting them. $1450 altogether. "

"...Ah..." he breathed, as you scooped them up and headed right into his room, leaving them by the closet door. "...Thanks..."

"By the way, Hidan is out of commission," you continued on in a bored tone, "He pissed me off, so I dismembered him. He's back in his room, healing. I'm joining you on the mission in his stead."

"... About yesterday, I-" he began to itch the back of his neck. Words never flowed naturally for him.

"Yes. I'll date you. You're the only one I would ever consider having at my back during bounty hunts," you cut to the chase as he raised an eyebrow. You started to clean your nails with a kunai as Kakuzu stood there, bemused. "Just to be clear, I dealt with Hidan for being a bastard about your attraction to me. Any questions?"

"...I think I love you..." he breathed, then rapidly cleared his throat. You smiled.

"So I hear. Let's get moving, stitches?"

"...No..." he scowled at you, "Never call me that, Y/N."

"My boyfriend it is," you shrugged with a small smile. "Let's move. The faster we're done, the faster we can go on a bounty hunt date?"

"...You're definitely my kind of woman..."