Rapunzel: Day One, Part 1/4

The afternoon is warm and sunny. Varian and Cassandra are sparring with each other to keep their sword fighting skills sharp, while Lance sits on a nearby rock munching on a sandwich.

Varian and Cassandra lunge and pivot and block each other's attacks, until Cassandra accidentally loses her grip on her sword. It flies through the air, and stabs into the ground directly in front of Lance.

"You wanna give it a break?" Lance hollers at Cassandra. "Varian can only take so much."

"Hey! At the moment I'm doing better than her," Varian responds, sheathing his sword. But when Cassandra glares at him, he smiles sheepishly. "I-I mean, you're doing great! Thumbs up."

     Cassandra rolls her eyes, and pulls her sword out of the ground

Cassandra rolls her eyes, and pulls her sword out of the ground. "Thanks to Rapunzel and her little trick at the Great Tree, I have to relearn everything using this hand," she says with irritation. "So, breaks aren't really an option."

"Well, you can keep training," Varian tells her. "But I need a break." He flops down on the ground and leans back against a tree, as Ruddiger rushes over and curls up next to him.

"We all need to be on our A-game," Cassandra says. "This is Westrabbit Woods! There are wild boars..." She slashes at a nearby bush as she says this.

"Ha!" Lance scoffs, continuing to eat his sandwich.

"...Slayer wolves," Cassandra continues, attacking the bush again.

"Double ha!" Lance replies.

"And..." Cassandra says with a sly grin, "jumping spiders."

"Wha...? Spiders?!" Lance wheezes, dropping the rest of his sandwich. He jumps off of the rock with a shriek, draws his sword, and swings it through the air wildly as if fighting off invisible arachnids.

Varian sighs, and notices Rapunzel laying back in a hammock made of her own hair. He stands up and walks over to her, and realizes she is sketching in her journal.

"Cass is traumatizing Lance again," he informs her, sounding bored.

Rapunzel doesn't even look up from her journal. "I get why Cass is mad at me," she says, sketching a picture of Cassandra sword fighting. "She told me not to use the decay spell back at the Tree, and I did, and she hurt her hand."

On her shoulder, Pascal squeaks and looks up at Varian, who only shrugs.

"But if she had just listened to me and stayed out of it," Rapunzel continues, "this all could have been avoided! And I feel like we could work things out, but she refuses to talk about it!" Her voice rises with anger, as she scribbles in her journal furiously.

"So, instead you're unloading all this on me and poor Pascal here," Varian says. "Not to mention your journal... Sheesh."