The Eye of Pincosta, Part 1/6

Varian's stomach is growling. He had to skip breakfast, because when he went to grab a bite out of the food trunk, Shorty was asleep in it for what seems like the millionth time. And of course, the old man had eaten every bit of food left.

     Ruddiger paws at Varian's leg, licking his lips sadly. There wasn't even an apple to spare for the poor raccoon. It was a good thing they were coming upon Pincosta, though. They could stop in and buy some more food... And maybe find someone who would be willing to take Shorty off our hands, Varian thinks with a chuckle.

     In the meantime, to distract himself from his hunger, Varian has been working on a project. It's a new device he is excited to test out, and he plans on installing it as soon as the caravan stops.

     "What'cha got there, kid?" Eugene asks, coming into the room and noticing the device in Varian's hand.

     "I'm glad you asked," Varian replies, smiling proudly. "I present to you... The Rooster!" He holds the spherical device high above his head dramatically.

 The Rooster!" He holds the spherical device high above his head dramatically

     Eugene stares at him, unimpressed. "Okay... so what does this 'Rooster' do?"

     "It's an early warning system," Varian explains. "I've noticed that some areas we've been going through are, let's just say, a teensy bit rougher than others. I want to make sure that the caravan, and all of our belongings within, are safe and protected."

     "Hmm, you really think we need something like this?" Eugene asks. "I mean, how many thieves do you think there really are around here?"

     Varian raises an eyebrow. "Weren't you one of the thieves around here once?"

     "Fair point," Eugene says. "But I mean, come on, we have CassAndra. Do we need any more protection than that? If we have us a thief, we just let her loose."

     "I'm sure Cass could chase off any thief, but how will she be able to if she doesn't know there is one?" Varian brings out. "That's the whole point of the Rooster. If someone tries to rob us, it'll shoot a glowing mortar into the air and alert us of the intrusion."

     "That sounds kinda dangerous," Eugene says.

     Varian sighs. "Don't worry Eugene, I've calculated it so the blast is contained and focused. It's small, but it should still be enough to get our attention even if we're a couple miles away."

     Eugene is silent for a moment, rubbing his goatee in thought. Finally, he shrugs. "Alright kid, you're the expert. If you think it'll help us, I'm all for it."

     Still following the trail of black rocks, Rapunzel stops the caravan on top of a hill. "The hamlet of Pincosta," she announces, observing the buildings below them. "Known for its warm smiles, hearty handshakes, and world-famous Pincostan Pecan Pie!"

     "What'd you do, memorize the travel guide?" Cassandra asks.

     Rapunzel shrugs. "Only through the V's. That's why I wasn't very much help in Zuhlberg."