You're Kidding Me! Part 5/5

The two of them split up, sneaking through the room as quietly as possible. The dogs are all snoring loudly, but one false move could be detected by their sensitive ears.

Cassandra begins to approach the top, but Rapunzel stops her. "Hey, Cass. Sweetie, I know you want to get the top," Rapunzel whispers, "and I know you're very brave. But you're in an unsafe situation right now, so... I need you to please exit the kennel." She sits down to be at eye-level with Cassandra.

"Uh-huh, you're not the boss of me!" Cassandra says in a normal voice, failing to recognize the need to whisper. The dog with the top grunts, but thankfully remains asleep.

"No, I-I-I'm not telling you what to do," Rapunzel says, still whispering. "But I am strongly suggesting that you reconsider—"

"Wow, Eugene was right," Cassandra says. "You do let us walk all over you. You guys are going to be disasters as parents."

Rapunzel stares down at the ground, hurt by Cassandra's words. She glances behind her at Eugene, wondering if it could be true.

Meanwhile, Eugene gently scoops up sleepy Varian and approaches Lance, who is still sitting next to the dumped wagon. "Lancey-poo, come with me. Right now."

     "Why this way?" Lance asks

"Because that's the way to the door, and we have to go bye-bye," Eugene says, growing frustrated again.

"Why?" Lance asks.

Seeing Eugene's failed attempts, determination crosses over Rapunzel's face. She hops up, grabs Cassandra, takes her away from the sleeping dog, and places her back down firmly.

"Hey! What are you—" Cassandra begins to protest.

"Okay, listen up young lady!" Rapunzel says, placing her hands on Cassandra's shoulders. "Playtime is over! You get your rear-end outta this kennel right now! And walk on those tiptoes!" She turns Cassandra to face the door.

"But—"

"No buts! Out! Tiptoes! Now!" Rapunzel nudges her in the right direction, and points at the door.

"...Yes, ma'am," Cassandra replies obediently, and begins to tiptoe towards the door. Rapunzel sighs with relief, and turns Eugene's way, who is still holding Varian and attempting to corral Lance.

"Listen to me, we have got to go!" Eugene says to Lance. "Why can't you just do what you're told?"

"Because... I'm a kid," Lance replies simply.

Eugene glances down at Varian, who is nodding in agreement, and realization dawns on him. "And kids need to feel like they're being heard." He kneels down to Lance's level and smiles. "Okay Lance. What do you want to do, huh buddy? I'm listening."