The Return of Quaid, Part 1/5

Varian and the others have been loading up the caravan with supplies, preparing to leave Vardaros. The city really isn't as great as he'd hoped it would be, so he is looking forward to getting out of here.

     "Hey Rapunzel, you about ready to go?" He asks her. But when she doesn't respond, he notices that she is staring out at the city in some sort of daze. "Rapunzel? Hello!" But still nothing. He scratches at his head in confusion as Pascal, perched on her shoulder, just shrugs.

     "Just a few more supplies, and we are ready to roll!" Eugene says, approaching the two of them

     "Just a few more supplies, and we are ready to roll!" Eugene says, approaching the two of them. "You know Blondie, this might not be the glamorous city it used to be —don't step there, or there... You should really put on shoes, honestly— but part of me is actually going to miss my old stomping grounds!" He expects a reply, but when it doesn't come he turns from the cityscape in front of him to face her. "Huh?"

     "I already tried," Varian tells him. "She's out of it."

     "Hello? Rapunzel?" Eugene waves his hand in front of her face.

     Trying to determine what has Rapunzel in such a funk, Varian watches the scene in front of them. He sees a man playing a violin with a hat at his feet and a sign that reads, "Please give generously." He sees Vex walk by pushing another cart full of deadly weapons. An old man and woman pass each other by and begin to yell at each other, while a man from a second-story window dumps a bucket of trash down into the violinist's hat below... and then onto the violinist's head, causing another old lady to chuckle. But as she's distracted, someone rushes by and grabs the bag she is holding from her.

     "Stop, thief!" She screams.

     Rapunzel sighs deeply, and finally speaks. "This place is... it's so sad."

     "Sad seems like an understatement," Varian adds, shocked that nobody is doing anything about the thief.

     "Yeah, but maybe now that we've run the Baron out of town, this old city will turn itself around," Eugene says, placing his arm around Rapunzel as he begins to lead her back to the caravan.

     "Um... guys?" Varian says, pointing.

     Rapunzel and Eugene turn around to see a huge flag being hoisted over the city, a giant 'W' cut out of it. "Ladies and gentlemen of Vardaros..." a familiar voice booms.

     "Or, this could happen," Eugene says as the skinny man with the funny nose and black eye who was with the Baron steps out in front of the crowd. The Baron's other men stand around him.

     "...You may have noticed that the sudden departure of our beloved Baron has left a conspicuous vacancy in this city's management," the man continues. "Well, good news... the position has been filled!"

     "Is that...?" Rapunzel says.

     "Weasel," Eugene finishes. "The Baron's right-hand man."