Rapunzeltopia, Part 1/5

Having to spend another night in the House of Yesterday's Tomorrow is the last thing Varian wants to do. But he knows that they have no choice, so he tries to settle in the best he can.

"I'll take the first watch," Rapunzel says.

"Are you sure about that, Raps?" Cassandra asks. "You've had a pretty long day."

"It's okay," Rapunzel tells her. "I kind of wanna stay awake and write about today in my journal, anyway."

Cassandra nods. "Alright, but the second you see or hear anything suspicious, wake me up."

As Rapunzel begins writing in her journal, and Pascal sits on her shoulder to give her some company, the others fall sound asleep. Even Varian finally manages to get some rest. But after a couple of hours, an unsettling feeling awakens him.

Something is wrong.

Sitting up, he glances around in the dark. After his eyes adjust, he sees Eugene, Lance, Shorty, and Cassandra all still asleep. But Rapunzel is currently striding up the stairs.

"Rapunzel?" Varian whispers. "What are you doing?" But when she doesn't respond, he figures she didn't hear him. He jumps up and follows after her. At the top of the stairs, he grabs her shoulder to stop her. "Hey, is it really a good idea to separate from the group?"

Rapunzel turns around to face him, but her expression is blank. She acts as if she is in a trance. Is she sleepwalking? Varian wonders.

 Is she sleepwalking? Varian wonders

"Rapunzel..." Varian hears a faint whisper calling out from somewhere in the house. A chill runs up his spine, and he wants nothing more than to get out of this place immediately. But Rapunzel turns back around, and begins to follow after the voice.

"Rapunzel, don't!" Varian says. He grasps her hand to stop her, but she jerks away and continues following after the voice calling her name.

Varian considers returning downstairs and alerting the others. But if he does, what if he loses track of where Rapunzel goes? They might not be able to find her again before something bad happens to her. He decides to follow her on his own instead.

After winding around a few hallways, Rapunzel eventually comes to a strange door. It has the image of a horned creature on it, and an eerie green glow is shining from underneath. To Varian's horror, Rapunzel opens the door.

"No, don't go in there!" He shouts. He leaps forward to stop her, but it's too late... She enters the room, closing the door behind her.

Suddenly, Pascal shows up and approaches Varian. "Pascal, Rapunzel's in trouble! Go get the others."

Pascal nods and begins to head back to the stairway, but before he can go any farther the door opens again and a long, creepy vine stretches out of it. The vine wraps around Pascal, and pulls him into the room as he squeaks in fear.