Rapunzeltopia, Part 4/5

As Varian takes his hands off the statue and watches on helplessly, he notices Rapunzel begin to stir. That's not usual... he thinks. Could I have succeeded? Maybe she's starting to have doubts!

Touching the statue again, he is relieved to make another connection with Rapunzel. But her dream world is more distorted to him, not quite as clear as before. It's more like he is observing her dream from a distance, rather than actually being in it. She still isn't letting me all the way in...

Rapunzel is now at her coronation, surrounded by guests. When she is handed her crown, her reality starts to shatter again. She backs away nervously, and glances around at the crowd. Breathing in deeply, she finally admits: "This isn't real..."

"Yes!" Varian shouts, pumping his fist. "The black rocks are the only way out, Rapunzel! You have to touch the black rocks!"

 "The black rocks are the only way out, Rapunzel! You have to touch the black rocks!"

Somehow Rapunzel can see Varian's reflection in the crystals on her crown. "This isn't real!" She repeats again, where everyone can hear her. She slaps the crown away, and it clatters to the floor. The crowd gasp and murmur amongst each other worriedly.

"Oh, I know! Being crowned princess, it just doesn't seem real. Right?" Eugene chuckles to the crowd. But then he turns to Rapunzel and grabs her shoulders urgently. "Blondie, what're you doing? Just put your crown on," he whispers to her, then tells the crowd, "Everything's fine!"

"It is tempting to follow the path of least resistance," Rapunzel says as Eugene strokes her face. "But that is not me!" She pulls away from Eugene's grasp.

"Hmm, this one's got some kick," Eugene says with a sigh. Except, it isn't Eugene's voice. Varian realizes with horror that Eugene now sounds like Tromus. "I tried to do this the easy way..." His eyes glow green, and with a flash and a swirl of green he transforms into Tromus right in front of Rapunzel. "You said no to the dream? Let's see how you enjoy being trapped in your worst nightmare!"

     Maximus suddenly appears behind Rapunzel, and she jumps up onto him. "Max! To the black rocks!" She tells him. But instead of listening, he glares at her and bucks her off of his back. She screams, and lands heavily on the floor.

     "Rapunzel!" Varian calls out worriedly. But he is still unable to reach all the way into her dream, and a wall of green fire is now surrounding her. Through the flames, he can see 'Cassandra' stepping towards the princess.

     "You did this to me, Rapunzel," 'Cassandra' says, removing her glove to reveal her withered hand. "It's all because I followed you!"

     "Don't listen to her, Rapunzel! She's not the real Cass!" Varian shouts. But he isn't sure if Rapunzel can hear him over the roar of the flames.

     Cassandra draws her sword and attacks, but Rapunzel quickly grabs her crown and uses it to deflect the blow. Reality fractures around her, and Cass and the green fire disappear.