Beyond the Corona Walls, Part 2/6

"Shorty?" Cassandra says, pulling the old man out from inside the trunk. At being disturbed, Shorty suddenly lets out an ear-splitting screech. Varian covers his ears, as Rapunzel and Eugene come barreling out of the caravan and Lance and Hook Foot rush onto the scene.

     "Cass! Varian! Are you okay?" Rapunzel asks, her frying pan at the ready. "We heard a scream!"

     "That wasn't either of us," Cass says, holding up Shorty by the back of his shirt. He screeches again, causing everyone to cover their ears.

     "Shorty?!" Rapunzel says in shock as Cassandra drops the old man on the ground

     "How did you get here?" Eugene asks.

     "How indeed!" Shorty replies, standing up. "The circumstances which led to my unexpected departure from Corona make for a long, yet fascinating tale."

     "Bottom line us, beardy," Cassandra says, arms folded.

     "I fell asleep in the food trunk," Shorty says simply.

     Lance gasps loudly, and Varian has to jump out of the way before he barrels into him, rushing to get to the trunk. "No, no, no, no, no! The food! He ate all the food! The bread, the cheese, those little cocktail weinies in the peppercorn jelly... gone! All gone!" He continues to wail over the lost food. "This is the worst day..."

     Eugene rolls his eyes at Lance, and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Well, I guess someone should head into town and pick up more supplies. Anyone up for a walk?"

     "Um, I'll go," Rapunzel volunteers. "If that's okay."

     "Sure! I mean, if you want to go for a walk," Eugene replies, rubbing the back of his head awkwardly. "You don't need to feel pressured."

     "No, no. I... I won't," Rapunzel says, just as awkward.

     "But just to be clear, I didn't officially ask you to go for a walk," Eugene says.

     "Okay," Rapunzel says slowly. "But the question was still out there. Doesn't that count?"

     "That depends. Are you officially asking me if it counts?"

     "Would that change your answer?"

     "I don't know, would it change yours?"

     Cassandra sighs exasperatedly as the others watch on. What is going on with them? Varian wonders with a raised eyebrow.

 What is going on with them? Varian wonders with a raised eyebrow