Freebird, Part 1/4

The group have been traveling all day, so Varian is happy when they finally decide to take a break (or rather, when Cassandra lets them take a break). It's a lot harder for him to work on any of his alchemical projects when then caravan is moving, so he tries to take advantage of every stop Rapunzel talks Cassandra into taking.

"Okay Ruddiger, let's take a look around the area and see if we can find any materials I can use," Varian tells his raccoon. The two of them exit the caravan, and see Rapunzel sitting on a grassy patch of ground crossed-legged. She is surrounded by Eugene, Lance, Shorty, Hook Foot, and Pascal, all sitting in a circle with their eyes closed.

"What're you guys doing?" Varian asks.

"Meditating," Rapunzel replies calmly. "You two should join us!"

Varian shakes his head. "Sorry Princess, but I'm busy at the momen—"

     Rapunzel suddenly grabs his arm, and pulls him down to sit between her and Hook Foot. Varian shrugs, and then crosses his legs like the others as Ruddiger sits next to Pascal. He closes his eyes, and breathes in and out slowly as the others do the same.

 He closes his eyes, and breathes in and out slowly as the others do the same

Rapunzel sighs contentedly. "Do you hear that? That is the sound of peaceful tranquility..."

"Rapunzel!" Cassandra's shout pierces the air as she approaches the rest of the group. "This was supposed to be a quick bathroom break, not a meditation." Owl lands on her shoulder, and stares at Rapunzel with his wide eyes.

"I was multitasking," Shorty says. With this admission, the others suddenly jump up.

"Sorry Cass," Rapunzel says, brushing herself off. "But look at this view! I mean, doesn't that just inspire you?"

Varian looks out where the princess is gesturing. In front of them is a gorgeous open sky, rolling green hills with trees of all kinds, and a bright blue river with sparkling water. Tall cliffs and even taller mountains decorate the background of this picturesque scene. He has to admit, it is quite beautiful. And he probably never would have noticed if Rapunzel hadn't pointed it out.

Cassandra barely gives it a glance. "You know what I find inspiring?" She says to Rapunzel. "Progress. Getting from point A to B without stopping to marvel at every meadow, valley, pond, and knoll along the way." She walks over to the horses, and begins checking their equipment.

"Look, Cass, I know we have to get to... wherever these rocks are leading us," Rapunzel says, "but aren't you afraid that if you focus too much on the road ahead, you might miss the fun at your feet?"

Cassandra chuckles. "Don't worry about me, Raps. If I want fun, I know where to find it."

"Oh yeah?" Lance says. "And where would that be? Funeral home?" He chuckles as he walks past her.