Destinies Collide, Part 5/8

After trekking along the narrow path bordered with black rocks, the gang can finally see the castle's entrance ahead of them.

"We're here," Rapunzel announces.

"Well, almost," Varian adds.

"Be on your guard," Adira tells them. "The path is lined with lethal, inescapable traps."

"Eh, I know a thing or two about traps!" Varian says, not worried. He walks forward, but the step rumbles below his foot.

"Watch out!" Adira shouts, pulling Varian back just as a cluster of spikes jut out of the ground. But the spikes immediately disintegrate right before their eyes.

Cassandra laughs derisively. "Great traps."

     "Okay, so I oversold the traps a little," Adira admits

"Okay, so I oversold the traps a little," Adira admits. "They're old."

Suddenly, Rapunzel's hair begins to glow brightly. It floats up above her head and swishes back and forth. "Whoa!" The princess exclaims, as everyone stares at her in wonder and shock. But then her hair ceases glowing, and returns to its normal state.

"Uh... What was that?" Cassandra asks.

"Fascinating!" Varian says, grabbing Rapunzel's hair and observing it closely. "It-It has to be reacting to the Moon Stone!"

 "It-It has to be reacting to the Moon Stone!"

"I believe you are correct," Adira says. "The opal must know the Sun Drop is close."

Rapunzel turns serious. "Then we better get on with this." She stomps forward determinedly, and the rest follow after her until they finally arrive at the large double doors leading into the castle. None of them notice the small, brief flicker of light within Varian's own hair...

Cassandra, Lance, and Adira work together to pull the crank that opens the doors. As the chains rattle, Rapunzel steps closer, Varian standing beside her for moral support.

But as the doors open, everyone catches sight of Eugene standing in the doorway, looking crestfallen. "Eugene?" Varian says warily, a warning bell going off inside of him. He does not like the expression on Eugene's face...