Forest of No Return, Part 3/5

Eugene and Rapunzel rush over to where the caravan was, but Adira stops them. "Both of you, back up! That's a land pit. They're scattered all over the forest. The horses and the camper are likely in another section of the woods now."

     "But that shouldn't physically be possible," Varian says, amazed and terrified at the same time.

"Alright, alright," Eugene says, holding his hands up. "Listen up, everyone. There's no reason to be scared. We're gonna find Max and Fidella, and get the heck outta this place in no time."

"We'd better hope no one else finds the caravan before we do," Varian says. "I've got a lot of dangerous materials in there."

"Why would you even bring stuff like that?" Hook Foot asks.

"I'm an alchemist! It's what I do," Varian replies with a shrug.

"Come on," Eugene tells everyone. "Follow my lead!"

Everyone begins to follow Eugene, but Varian takes another look at the dagger in the hand of the skeleton. Seeing those bones creeps him out, but he wonders if the dagger might not come in handy someday... Especially since Cassandra won't let him have his own weapon to protect himself. And they come across a lot of things they need to protect themselves from on this journey. He can't always rely on one of the others to be around to save him, or even his alchemy.

     He approaches the skeleton slowly, gets as close as he dares, and stretches to reach the knife. As he does this, he accidentally knocks his knee against the skeleton's other arm, causing it to move like it's reaching out for him. Startled, he jumps backward and falls to the ground.

     Ruddiger bounds over to the skeleton, and easily snatches the dagger

     Ruddiger bounds over to the skeleton, and easily snatches the dagger. He scurries over to Varian, who heaves a sigh of relief.

"Thanks buddy," Varian says, taking the dagger and giving his raccoon a pat. He then pockets the dagger, and runs off to catch up with the others.

As they continue through the forest, they face many obstacles. They come across a tall cliff that must be climbed. Eugene, of course, volunteers and begins to climb, with a rope tied around his waist that he can drop for the others once he gets to the top. But as he struggles to climb, Adira shoots an arrow up to the top with a rope attached to it. The rope pops open into a ladder, and the others climb it with ease. Rapunzel even waves to Eugene as she passes, but he slips and falls all the way back down to the bottom. He refuses to climb Adira's ladder, so instead Rapunzel lets down her hair for him and pulls him up.

Later, it begins to storm. As the rain pours down, soaking them, Varian wishes more than ever that they hadn't lost the dry caravan.

"Everyone, over here!" Eugene says, standing under an abnormally large flower. The others comply, and try to huddle under the flower, but they still don't all quite fit under it. The only good part about it for Varian is that he has an excuse to stand closer to Cassandra.