Mirror Mirror, Part 1/4

It has been storming all day long. The sky is dark, the wind is howling, and the rain is pouring down in sheets mercilessly. The horses trudge through it, hoping to find some shelter soon.

     Inside the caravan, the gang are attempting to stay dry. There are leaks everywhere, and Pascal just happens to be under one as a couple of drops land on his head.

     To pass the time, Cassandra is training with her sword once again. She tosses an apple in the air, slices it quickly, and catches the pieces. "Eight perfect slices," she says proudly.

     Meanwhile, Rapunzel is sketching away in her journal... but the quill against the paper is creating the most annoying sound that Varian can even hear all the way on the guys' side of the caravan. Ruddiger snarls with irritation, and covers his ears with his tiny paws. "Four, five, four, three, two, six, six, four, eight, two..." Varian whispers to himself as he twirls the end of his bandana between his fingers repeatedly, attempting to drown out the noise. He is bored and wishes he could work more on his most recent project —an invisibility solution, plus a remedy dust that will return the invisible object/person back to normal— but he is afraid that the storm would interfere with his calculations.

     "Ugh... Raps, do you mind?" Cassandra says.

     "What?" Rapunzel asks without looking up from her journal, oblivious to the irritation she is causing.

     Before Cass can say anything further, Lance begins to whistle a tune. Varian cringes, and covers his ears. This is not the first time Lance has begun to whistle, and the last time he did it seemed like it would never end!

     "One, three, three, nine, three, six, zero, seven, two, six..." Varian says to himself with more intensity, continuing to twirl his bandana as Ruddiger hides underneath a blanket.

" Varian says to himself with more intensity, continuing to twirl his bandana as Ruddiger hides underneath a blanket

     The door between their two sides opens up. "Lance, please!" Rapunzel says as she, Cassandra, and Pascal glare at him.

     "Yes, please! This song is awful," Eugene says, plucking his eyebrows in the mirror.

     "Speaking of awful, I see you're looking at yourself again, pretty boy," Cassandra sneers at Eugene.

     "Well, it beats looking at you!" Eugene retorts. "Besides, without proper brow maintenance, the smolder cannot work to full effect."

     "If the effect you're going for is to make me nauseous, I'd say it's working perfectly," Cassandra replies, as she and Rapunzel step all the way into the guys' side.

     "Well, it wasn't what I was going for," Eugene says as Rapunzel sits at the table beside Varian. "But since you are nauseated, let's call it a happy accident."

     "I'll show you a 'happy accident'," Cassandra says, stepping towards him threateningly.

     Attempting to drown out their fighting, Lance starts to whistle again. Varian almost can't take it. "Zero, two, four, nine, one, four, one, two, seven, three..." He says through gritted teeth, twirling his bandana so hard he almost rips it off his neck. At the same time, Pascal takes a thick strand of Rapunzel's hair and uses it to cover his own head.