Destinies Collide, Part 3/8

The gang watch Cassandra nervously as she ambles across the cable that stretches over the deep, dark chasm. Taking each step carefully and slowly, she holds her arms out on either side of her for balance.

     "I mean, you'd think she would've taken the heavy armor off before climbing on a flimsy cable over an endless chasm..." Eugene remarks.

     "Uh, maybe she's making a fashion statement?" Lance suggests.

     "Honey, armor is so last fall," Shorty adds.

     Normally, Varian would take up for Cassandra. But he is currently too nervous to hear what the others are saying. He is regarding Cass with bated breath, hoping with all his might that she makes it to the gondola safely. Ruddiger is on his shoulders, patting his head comfortingly.

     Suddenly, Cassandra begins to wobble. Losing her balance, she falls to one side. "Whaa—"

     The others gasp, but thankfully Cassandra catches herself by hooking the backs of her legs around the cable. Varian feels like he might faint from all the stress.

     Grabbing onto the cable with both her hands, her legs still wrapped around it too, Cass begins to slide along the cable

Grabbing onto the cable with both her hands, her legs still wrapped around it too, Cass begins to slide along the cable. She finally reaches the gondola and disappears inside it. Varian lets out the breath he hadn't realized he was holding.

"Wow, that takes a lot of guts," Rapunzel says in amazement.

"I guess she really does have your back," Eugene says.

"I told you," Varian says.

But Eugene thinks for a moment. "...Unless she's planning on taking that car to the other side of the chasm and leaving it there. Then you'd have no way of getting across!"

Varian shakes his head, but Rapunzel appears anxious again. "Oh, come on Rapunzel! You can't actually believe that."

But as he says this, the gondola creaks and begins to move... in the wrong direction. As it slowly inches toward the other side of the chasm, Rapunzel and Eugene gasp.

"Just give her a second," Varian says to them, still having complete confidence in Cassandra.

Sure enough, the gondola stops and then begins to make its way towards them. Rapunzel and Eugene sigh with relief, but Varian smirks at them smugly.

Everyone climbs the platform to the gondola as Cassandra pulls it in. She pops her head out the window and stares at the others, but when they still don't enter she opens the door. "Um, did you want me to get the door for you, too?" She says, sounding irritated.

Rapunzel approaches Cass and throws her arms around her. Cassandra seems confused, but her face softens. The others hop inside the gondola, and they begin making their way across the chasm.