Goodbye and Goodwill, Part 3/4

Later that evening, Varian creates another new batch of the elixir that he hopes is finally right. He tries to chase Ruddiger down to test it on him, but the raccoon refuses to drink it.

     "Come on Ruddiger, it won't hurt you!" Varian tells him. "It'll just make you either really super happy, or really super angry." But Ruddiger shakes his head, and runs away out of Varian's reach.

     With a sigh, Varian heads out to find Rapunzel and Cassandra. Guess I'll just have to hope this batch works, instead of making them worse... he thinks as he approaches the tent where Cassandra keeps the stuff for her festival events. But as he draws nearer, he hears them arguing again.

     "...Wait a minute, I know what this is about," Cassandra says to Rapunzel. "You're here to steal my event ideas!"

     Did Rapunzel actually sneak into Cassandra's tent? Varian wonders. The effects of that bad elixir were stronger than I thought...

     "No, I'm not!" Rapunzel insists. "Why would I do that?"

     "I just figured, since yours were so...disastrous," Cassandra says.

     "Uh, well... They weren't disastrous, Cass. And I don't need to steal your bad ideas, thank you very much! I have plenty of my own."

     Cassandra chuckles mockingly. "Okay, you have plenty of bad ideas?"

     "What? No!" Rapunzel growls in frustration. "You know what I mean!"

     "Look Raps, I'm sorry if people like my events better than yours." But her smirk says that she is anything but sorry.

     "What are you talking about? People love my events!"

     Varian jumps in surprise as the weird old lady passes by the tent behind him. "I hate your events, ya clod!" She yells.

     "Is she just following me around?!" Rapunzel says.

     "Speaking of following you around..." Cassandra says, finally noticing Varian.

     "Hi," Varian says with a nervous wave as he enters the tent

     "Varian, were you spying on me?" Rapunzel asks.

     "What? No," Varian replies. "I was just trying to find you two. There's, uh... there's actually something I need to talk to you about."

     "Not now, Stalker Boy," Cassandra says. "We're in the middle of a conversation."

     "Seriously, I was not stalking," Varian says. "And I hardly call what you two were having a conversation."

     Cassandra sighs. "We wouldn't even be having it if Rapunzel had just listened to me from the beginning!" She turns her attention back to the princess. "I tried to tell you, these people are edgy. And sadly, you have no edge."