Rapunzel: Day One, Part 3/4

As the day goes on, Varian and Cassandra have nearly found all the ingredients needed for the potion. But Rapunzel finally seems to notice that they are up to something.

     "Whoa!" Rapunzel says, startling Cassandra and Varian as she hangs upside-down from a tree in front of them. "What's that?" She gazes at the book.

     "Oh! It's, uh..." Cassandra glances at Varian for help, but he only raises an eyebrow at her, interested to see what she will come up with. "I-i-it's a cookbook! I'm making soup. A really s-super special soup."

     "Seriously?" Varian says as Owl hoots his disapproval. But Cassandra elbows Varian and shoves Owl away.

 But Cassandra elbows Varian and shoves Owl away

     Rapunzel gasps excitedly. "I love soup, too!" She drops down out of the tree as she adds, "Mother always makes it for my birthday. Oh! We need to get you this special spice Mother uses, it's called 'minne.' It has this bright blue flower and it's so good!"

     "No, no, no, no. That'd be too much trouble," Cassandra replies. "I don't want my soup to hold you up from getting back to your tower. You do want to get back as soon as possible, don't you?" She smirks as she says this.

     "Of course I do!" Rapunzel says, and that seems to be the end of the conversation. Cassandra continues on the path, and Varian follows after her, both of them believing that the princess is right behind them.

     As Cassandra uses her sword to collect some tree sap for the potion, she notices both Varian and Owl are staring at her with judgmental expressions. "Don't look at me like that," she tells them. "We did it, didn't we? That's the last of the ingredients."

     "Yeah, well, we still have to make the potion," Varian says, "and hope it actually works." But suddenly he notices the princess is being too quiet. "How you holding up, Rap—" When he turns around, he realizes she isn't there. "Rapunzel?"

     Cassandra glances around. "Oh no. Where did she go now?"

     "Do you think she went to find some minne?" Varian says.

     "Ugh... Probably. Come on, we've gotta go find her," Cassandra says, turning around. "Raps? Raps!"

     "Rapunzel!" Varian calls out, until he notices some rocks crumbling down from a tall cliff. He stares up, and sees long, blonde hair blowing in the wind high above. "Um, Cass?"

     When Cassandra looks at him, he points up. Her eyes follow where he is pointing, and they both see Rapunzel on a ledge attempting to keep a goat from eating the minne she is trying to collect.

     "Oh, you have got to be kidding me..." Cassandra says with a sigh.

     "Give. Me. My. Minne!" The princess shouts at the goat. She lassos her hair around the bouquet of minne that is in the goat's mouth, but the goat is stubborn and refuses to let her have it. She jerks hard on her hair, but instead of getting the minne out of its mouth the entire goat comes flying toward her. It knocks her off balance, and she begins to plummet to the ground with no way to stop herself.