Destinies Collide, Part 6/8

As Varian wanders through the castle, he comes across a grand hall with a circle of towering, intimidating statues. He figures these must be the former rulers of the Dark Kingdom, but he gets a creepy feeling from them that he doesn't enjoy at all. He tries to hurry past them, but he stops when he sees an even stranger sight... A pile of old Flynn Rider Wanted posters.

     Why in the world would those be here...? He wonders. He picks one of them up to study it, when he hears a door open nearby. He releases the poster as his eyes frantically scan for a hiding place. But then he remembers that he is invisible, and all he has to do is stand where he is.

     To his surprise, Eugene enters the room. Varian glares at him as he notices the distraught expression on his face.

     Eugene ambles over to the pile of posters, but before he can reach for one Varian sprinkles his re-visibility dust over himself and appears directly in front of him. "Gah!" Eugene exclaims, springing back in shock. "Varian! What are you doing here?!"

     "Funny, I was gonna ask you the same thing," Varian replies, still glowering

Eugene sighs despondently. "Okay, yes... I get that you're mad at me. But I didn't have a choice."

"Didn't have a choice?!" Varian shouts angrily. "What are you talking about?!"

"Look, this is gonna sound crazy, but... this place is where I come from."

Varian raises an eyebrow. "You're right, that does sound crazy."

"Just bear with me," Eugene says. "Not only was I born here in the Dark Kingdom, but also... King Edmund is my father."

Varian's eyes widen slightly in shock, but his indignation still flares into sarcasm. "Well congratulations, Prince Eugene. Shall I bow to your royal regime of backstabbing?"

"Listen kid, I know we brought Rapunzel here to grab the stone, but everything... everything is different now."

"So you found your father, whoop-de-do!" Varian shouts. "How does that change anything?!"

"It just does!" Eugene shouts back. "You don't understand, Varian." He sighs in frustration as he grabs a few of his Wanted posters and scans through them. "When I was younger, I thought of myself as an outcast. I was a rogue, a thief, a joker... I thought I was alone in the world and that no one could love me.

"But, I found out I was wrong. I met Rapunzel, someone I could share my dream with. I felt so lucky, and I thought I knew what my purpose was. But again, I was wrong..."

"What?!" Varian can't believe what he is hearing. "Eugene, you can't—"

Eugene holds up his hands to stop him. "Everything I ever thought I knew —where I've been, where I'm going, and everything I counted on— turns out none of it was true. Everything I yearned for and planned, all of my sweetest memories... it's all crumbling. And if none of it was really me, then who am I supposed to be?" He stares dismally at his reflection in the black rocks.