Keeper of the Spire, Part 6/6

The gang return to the Vault doors, and Calliope finally unlocks them. They step inside, and marvel at the amazing artifacts all around them, preserved in different frames and on shelves along a spiral staircase that goes all the way to the top of the building. Varian cannot believe his eyes, and he wishes that he knew what every single one of these artifacts was.

     They follow Calliope up the stairs, where they finally stop at a particular display case. Behind the glass is a scroll, the missing piece Rapunzel needs. She takes it gently in her hands, staring at it in wonder. "The third scroll piece..." She says with a gasp. She turns to Calliope and adds, "And you got us here. You did it!"

     "And I couldn't be more proud," a new voice says from outside, causing Varian to jump. Coming through the door in a cloud of smoke, they see a tall bearded man with long gray hair wearing a robe.

     "Keeper!" Calliope gasps, running to him enthusiastically and jumping into his arms.

     "Calliope, you are now the Keeper of the Spire," he tells her. "You passed my test. Congratulations!"

     "Wha-what? I don't understand," Calliope says.

     "I'm sorry for leaving you," The Keeper tells her. "But I had to remind you why I chose you in the first place."

     "Why did you choose me?" Calliope asks.

     "Your perseverance," The Keeper replies. "This is the skill a Keeper of such great artifacts must call upon in the face of adversity. And you did it! Not only with the Kirlok, but when you performed in front of an... aggressively indifferent crowd."

     "Mmm, their minds were too blown to clap, that's all..." Calliope says.

     "You persevered, Calliope," the Keeper continues.

     "Wait... There had to be an easier way to teach her that lesson," Rapunzel says, stepping towards them.

"I wholeheartedly agree," Varian says. "That monster out there almost killed us!"

     "The Kirlok?" The Keeper says with a laugh. "He's actually a loyal pet." He turns back to Calliope and adds, "As you will see, when you train your own." He gestures to a small doggy door in the corner, where a tiny baby Kirlok with nubs for horns prances out.

     Calliope gasps as the baby Kirlok purrs and climbs on top of her head. "Aww!"

     "Do keep him away from the furniture," the Keeper tells her.

     Rapunzel smiles, and then begins to head towards the exit. Varian's heart sinks in disappointment that they are leaving the Vault so soon. "Wait, Rapunzel... Can't we stay just a little longer?"

Rapunzel turns to face him. "I'm sorry Varian, but... We really need to continue on our journey. Maybe we can come back sometime and visit, hmm?"

 Maybe we can come back sometime and visit, hmm?"