Rapunzeltopia, Part 2/5

Varian races down the hallways of the castle, until he remembers where he is. I'm in Rapunzel's mind. I just need to reach out to her... He closes his eyes, and imagines Rapunzel.

Suddenly he finds himself in the courtyard of the castle, gazing up at an open window. Inside, Rapunzel is having a discussion with her father. Her hair is short and brunette, which is a strange sight to Varian.

     "I just wanted to take a moment to tell you how proud I am of you," King Frederic says, taking Rapunzel's hands in his. "Oh! And show you the many festivities we've planned!" He yanks the covering off of a table in the middle of the room to reveal a diorama of the Kingdom, including little tents labeled with various fun activities. Miniature fireworks shoot from the display. "See?"

     Rapunzel chuckles, seeming happier than Varian has seen her in a long time. Is she really buying all of this? He wonders.

     "Today is going to be the happiest, most perfect day Corona has ever seen," Frederic continues.

     "It already is, Dad," Rapunzel says, giving him a huge hug.

     Yep, she's buying it... Varian thinks sadly.

     "Good then. I must be off!" Frederic tells her. "I get to judge the pudding contest!" He dashes away excitedly with his hands in the air. "Best day ever!"

Rapunzel laughs, and then sighs happily.

I need to get up there, Varian thinks. Closing his eyes, he imagines himself in the room with Rapunzel. Just when Rapunzel glances out the window and almost spots him, he disappears and rematerializes behind her. Woo-hoo! I'm starting to get the hang of this.

     Having seen his movement out of the corner of her eye, Rapunzel gazes out the window curiously

Having seen his movement out of the corner of her eye, Rapunzel gazes out the window curiously. She backs away, but before she can bump into him he disappears again —this time adding a bit of smoke just for flair. He reappears in the rafters above Rapunzel's head. Oh yeah, I could get used to this.

Rapunzel gasps, and takes hold of a sword from a crest on the wall. "Who are you? And what do you want?" She shouts, pointing the sword in defense. She still hasn't seen Varian, but she can sense his presence.

Varian imagines sparklers, and a number of them blaze to life around Rapunzel's feet with repeated crackling noises. Rapunzel jumps, startled.

Okay, I think I've got her attention now, Varian thinks. He imagines his gooey raccoon trap compound, and it reaches down from the ceiling to grab Rapunzel. As she hangs upside-down, he transports down to the floor and stands beside her. Reflexively, she stabs at him with the sword, but he deflects it by imagining a frying pan in his hand. He isn't quite sure what made him think it up, but it seems to work out just fine.

"A frying pan?" Rapunzel gasps. "Who are you? Because that's kind of... my thing."

Varian lowers the frying pan, and finally pulls his hood back. "Yeah, I know. I see you use one all the time."