The Return of Quaid, Part 3/5

Quaid leads the gang back outside, where he has quite a few beehives set up. "Best honey in Vardados!" He says proudly, filling the pot Vex found with honey. "My friends here work like a single, well-oiled machine. Together, they gather all sorts of varietals. We make buckwheat honey, orange blossom honey, kudzu honey..."

     Ruddiger's eyes light up, and he rushes toward all the pots of honey hungrily. But Varian grabs him and holds him back. "Nope, not for you! If you can't control yourself, you're going back to the caravan."

     Ruddiger chitters angrily at Varian, But makes his way back to the caravan

     As Quaid goes on to explain about his bees, Maximus curiously sniffs the pots of honey lying around. But one smells different, and he sticks his muzzle inside. The pot gets stuck, and he roughly shakes his head to loosen it, causing its liquid contents to spill all over him.

     "Oops... Looks like he just got a face full of pheromones," Quaid says.

     "What are those?" Rapunzel asks.

     "It's like a love potion for bees," Quaid explains. "They think they got themselves a new queen."

     Maximus whinnies nervously as a large group of bees begins to buzz around him. As they get closer, he runs away, but they only chase after him.

Love potion for bees, huh? Varian thinks. I wonder if it could have any other uses...?

     "Listen," Quaid turns his attention back to Rapunzel. "Vardaros' heyday is long gone. And now, so's your sand." He gestures to the hourglass, his face hardening again, and begins to walk away.

     Rapunzel's friends start to head back to the caravan. "We tried, Princess," Varian says, offering her a comforting smile. But Rapunzel isn't ready to give up yet...

     "Weasel's gonna expand, you know," she says to Quaid, glancing out at all the beautiful land he owns. "Every nearby forest, field, and fjord will belong to him. Do you know what that means?"

     "It means, I'm gonna have to get myself a dictionary to look up what a fjord is," Quaid responds.

     "Well actually, it's a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs, typically formed by submergence of a glaciated valley—" Varian begins to explain. But once he sees the glare he is getting from Quaid, he backs up slowly. "Yeah, sorry, it doesn't matter..."