Rapunzel: Day One, Part 2/4

The sun rises on the next day, and Rapunzel and Cassandra still have not returned with supplies. Eugene tells him they're fine, but Varian has a suspicion something may have gone wrong.

     As Varian heads to their food stash to find something for breakfast, an unusual sensation washes over his body. He can't quite explain the feeling, but is unsettling to say the least.

     "Eugene...?" He says. Eugene and Lance approach him, but before he can tell them what's going on he disappears right in front of their eyes. They gasp in shock, and exchange confused glances.

     The experience is the strangest thing Varian believes he has ever gone through. One minute he's about to eat breakfast, and the next he is standing in front of Cassandra. She is staring at him, looking as shocked as he is.

 She is staring at him, looking as shocked as he is

     "Uhhh... what's going on?" Varian asks. He glances around and sees that they are in an abandoned village that has been destroyed by black rocks. Behind him is an apothecary cart, filled with all different kinds of tonics and potions. Owl sits atop it, gazing at Varian with his wide eyes.

     Cassandra glances at the bottle in her hand, and then throws it on the ground in frustration. "This bottle said that if I poured the contents out on the ground, it would make something appear that could help me. But you are not exactly what I had in mind."

     Varian chuckles. "Guess you need me, after all." But his smile fades as he asks, "What exactly do you need help with?"

     Cassandra sighs as Rapunzel shouts at her from somewhere in the distance: "So, are you gonna take me home or what?"

     "Take her home?" Varian repeats. "What's she talking about?"

     Cassandra facepalms, but plasters a smile on her face as she replies to Rapunzel, "Uh, just a minute. Packing a few things!"

     Varian stares at her with a raised eyebrow, as Owl hoots at her disapprovingly.

     "Okay, look. I'm gonna say this quick, so pay attention," Cassandra says. "I accidentally used this 'Wand of Oblivium' to erase Rapunzel's memories all the way back to the tower, and now she thinks I rescued her from ruffians who wanted her for her hair and that I'm taking her back home to Gothel. So just... play along, okay?"

     Varian lets out a low whistle. "Wow, that's... that's a lot to process. Um... shouldn't you just tell her what really happened?" Owl hoots in agreement.

     Cassandra places her hands on her hips. "No, I'm not going to tell her what happened! It'd turn into this whole big discussion about our feelings, and I don't do touchy-feely. Ugh, the thought of opening up makes me queasy."

     "But... you've opened up to me before," Varian tells her.

     "Yeah, and you remember what happened!" Cassandra retorts.