Happiness Is... Part 5/6

The Lorbs draw their tiny weapons as they apprehend Varian's sword from him and then bind Rapunzel, Varian, Ruddiger, and Pascal up in ropes individually. These little leaf people already weirded Varian out, but now that all of their eyes are glowing red they are just plain creepy.

     "Are we just gonna let them do this to us?" Varian asks Rapunzel as the Lorbs force them to walk towards their village.

     "They're under the influence of the statue," Rapunzel replies. "There's no telling what they might do to us if we fight back."

     "They're tiny people that look like plants!" Varian remarks. "What could they do to us?!"

     "They could force us to touch the idol again, for one," Rapunzel says. "And trust me, we do not want to become what they are now."

     Varian considers this. "Yeah, that's a good point..."

     "Shut it, freinfloofers!" Alfons shouts as they enter the Lorb village.

     The Lorbs force them inside one of their huts, and lock the door behind them. Unable to do anything else, the four of them sit inside the tiny hut, wondering how they are going to get out of this situation.

     Varian notices that Pascal is now glaring at Rapunzel. He has never seen the chameleon look so ticked.

     "Pascal, stop looking at me like that," Rapunzel says, but the little guy doesn't let up. "Okay, fine! I know, I know. I blew the chance to get rid of the idol of versha—vorken— vein... the idol, and now I'm still homesick, I lost the statue, deceived all of my friends, and endangered the island! See, I admitted it. There, are you happy?!"

     Pascal nods, and even Ruddiger chitters in agreement.

     "I'm not," Varian says. "What was with you calling out my name earlier?"

     Rapunzel bites her lip. "I, uh... I saw you. The way you were before. Attacking my dad."

     Varian's expression falters. "Are you... are you worried that I'll become that way again?"

     Rapunzel is quiet for a second too long.

     "Y-You are!" Varian says.

     "You know I would love to say I'm not, Varian. But I would be lying if I said the thought hadn't... occasionally crossed my mind. I mean, I never thought you would turn into that kind of person in the first place, but you did." She tries to explain.

     Varian can't believe what he's hearing! The only reason he is out here is because Rapunzel gave him another chance. She had faith in him. But now he's learning that that faith wasn't even true?!

     "I... I thought you trusted me more than that," Varian says, no longer able to meet her eye.

     "Varian, I do trust you! Please don't let the fear caused by one fleeting thought ruin all we've accomplished. Ugh, it's that stupid idol! It's messing up everything."