Lost and Found, Part 5/5

The gang don't have much time to mourn the loss of Demanitus. The stone creature finally busts the door down, and growls fiercely at them. Vigor screeches loudly, and climbs up onto Eugene's head.

"Blondie, you're going to save us," Eugene says, putting his hand on Rapunzel's shoulder.

"How?!" She shouts nervously.

"I don't know, but I've always believed in us. I've always believed in you," Eugene replies, taking her hands in his.

     "He's right, Rapunzel," Varian agrees, placing his hand on her shoulder supportively. "I believe in you, too."

     Rapunzel smiles at them, encouraged by their words

     Rapunzel smiles at them, encouraged by their words. She gently removes Pascal from her shoulder, places him on Eugene's, and walks toward the creature. Closing her eyes, her hair begins to glow. It flows out and encircles them all, shining as bright as the sun. With a golden flash, a burst of energy explodes from her and dissolves the creature... along with most of the maze.

     Rapunzel stumbles forward weakly, but Eugene catches her in his arms and gives her a strong embrace. "Well, looks like my birthday wish came true," he says, stroking her face lovingly.

     "That was..." Rapunzel begins to say.

     "Oh no... please don't say it," Varian begs.

     "...A-maze-ing!" Rapunzel finishes anyway, with a wide grin.

     Eugene groans, but only squeezes her tighter. Varian rolls his eyes, but he still can't keep himself from smiling.

With most of the maze now destroyed, it is much easier for them to find the exit. They leave the maze, and return to Madame Canardist's wagon.

     "See ya, Vigor," Eugene says as the monkey chitters happily. "It's been... educational."

     "That's an understatement," Varian mutters, his heart sinking lower as he watches Vigor stick his finger in his own ear, sniff it, grimace, and then disappear inside the wagon. Demanitus is truly gone...

     Madame Canardist smiles after the monkey, but scoffs at the others. She heads inside her wagon, slamming the door forcefully behind her.

     "Okay then..." Varian says. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready to head back to—"

     "Wait! Wait, please," Madame Canardist says as she and Vigor re-emerge from the wagon. She removes the jewel on his turban, and hands it to Eugene. "Vigor said he wanted you to have this."

Smiling kindly, Eugene removes his remaining coin from his bag and holds it out to Canardist.

"Unfortunately, it is free," she tells him with a deep scowl.

"No no, take it," Eugene says. "I think I owe him."

"If you insist," Canardist says with a brief smile, taking the coin from him and slamming the door behind her again.