Destinies Collide, Part 2/8

Discovering a grove of apple trees, the gang decide to take a break and eat a quick snack. As Lance and the animals munch on the apples, Rapunzel takes the opportunity to sketch in her journal. Eugene seems to be in his own little world, staring at the paper he found in Vigor's jewel.

     It still bothers Varian that Eugene won't let him see what is written on the paper. Does it have something to do with him? But why would it? Why won't Eugene just tell him?!

     As she finishes up in her journal, Rapunzel heads toward Eugene, who is now whispering to Maximus. No doubt about what's on the paper. Varian decides to follow her, hoping to get a sneak peek.

     As Rapunzel approaches, Pascal on her shoulder, Eugene folds the paper up. "Do me a favor and let's just keep this whole thing to ourselves, alright?" He tells Maximus, tossing him an apple.

     "Keep what to yourselves?" Varian asks, raising an eyebrow.

     Eugene gasps, as Pascal darts his tongue out and grabs the paper. "Hey, what's this?" Rapunzel asks, unfolding the paper. Varian eyes it warily.

     Eugene laughs nervously

     Eugene laughs nervously. "This is so much fun," he says to Maximus sarcastically.

     As Rapunzel reads the paper, her expression falters. Now Varian is even more curious than before. "What does it say?" He asks.

     "'When Rapunzel enters the Dark Kingdom, one of her team will turn against her'," Rapunzel reads aloud. "Eugene, where did you get this?"

     "Uhhh... Demanitus gave it to me. To us. It was in the jewel on his turban," Eugene explains.

     Rapunzel studies the words for a long moment. "...Do you believe it?" She finally asks.

     "Well, I mean... Demanitus has been right about everything else so far," Eugene replies.

     Rapunzel scoffs. "No one is gonna turn against me. Demanitus has to be wrong. Everyone's had my back this far. They're not gonna stop now."

     Eugene is suddenly silent, glancing back at the rest of the group nervously. His eyes then land on Varian, and something finally clicks.

     "Wait..." Varian says. "You didn't tell me about this warning because... Eugene, do you suspect me?!"

     Eugene throws his hands up in defense. "What? Nooo! I mean, not just you. I—"

     "Not just me?" Varian repeats, hurt and irritation building inside him. "So you do suspect me?"

     "Kid, calm down," Eugene says, as Rapunzel watches on, unsure what to say.

     "Calm down?!" Varian shouts. "I thought we were over this! I know I betrayed you guys in the past. But that was in the past!" Honestly, Varian still struggles with Rapunzel's lapse in trust back on Terapi Island. But now Eugene is skeptical of him? "I thought you were my friend." His voice finally lowers. "I... I look up to you, Eugene."