Freebird, Part 2/4

Instead of changing the caravan wheel, the guys now begin to do push-ups. Varian can still see them outside the window.

"Hey Blondie, look at this!" He hears Eugene say. "One-armed push-ups!" But when he doesn't get a response, he glances around in confusion. "Blondie? Cass?" He stops the others. "Wait a minute, guys. Where are Cass and Rapunzel?"

"Let me look for them," Lance says. "Could they be under this big, heavy tree trunk?" He grabs said trunk and lifts it over his head. "No!"

"Maybe they're not under a tree, maybe they're up one!" Hook Foot says as he uses Lance's lifted log to climb up and cling onto an overhead tree branch. He pulls himself up once, then lowers himself. "I didn't see 'em, but I'll check again!" He pulls himself up again, but with only one arm. Lance throws the log away with ease as Hook Foot continues to show off on the tree branch.

Varian shakes his head, and finally goes outside.

"Guys! Can we stop showing off just for a minute, and focus on finding the girls?" Eugene says.

"They went exploring," Varian tells him. He points as he adds, "That way."

Eugene heads in that direction, as Hook Foot falls from the tree. He and Lance begin to follow Eugene into the woods.

"Hey, shouldn't we just wait until they get back?" Varian yells after them. But, just as expected, they ignore him. "Yes, because it worked out so well for them the last time they didn't listen to me and took off on their own..." Varian grumbles to Ruddiger, recalling when Eugene and Lance got kidnapped by the Baron in Vardaros. Hoping to not have a repeat of that incident, he decides to follow after them this time. "I'm probably gonna regret this..."

     "Come on, guys!" Eugene shouts

"Come on, guys!" Eugene shouts. But as soon as he says this, Varian watches as he, Lance, and Hook Foot fall through a hollowed-out log. Their screams fade away as they fall farther and farther.

Varian sighs, and glances at Ruddiger on his shoulder. "Oh, come on! I'm the youngest in this group, right? So why do I feel like I'm constantly babysitting these three?" Ruddiger chitters in response, and with a deep breath Varian plunges into the hollow log... As Ruddiger jumps off his shoulder just in time.

Varian falls through the log, away from Ruddiger above. He plummets through it like a slide, though he finds it more terrifying than fun. At the other end, he discovers a soft landing atop Hook Foot... who is on top of Lance... who is on top of Eugene.

"Oh! How lovely," the guys hear an unfamiliar woman's voice say. "Father! Unforeseen guests."

Varian shakes his head to make sure what he is seeing isn't a hallucination, because what is in front of them looks completely out of place. A man and a woman wearing extremely fancy clothes sit around a table, sipping on tea. The table and chairs are made of large toadstools. Beside them is a basket full of blue eggs, while behind them is a large, colorful cabin that looks like something out of a dream. Also noteworthy is the decorative tree full of live, interesting-looking birds perched upon its fake branches.