Mirror Mirror, Part 4/4

"We have to find somewhere to hide, Pascal," Varian says. "Then we can come up with a plan..."

He and the chameleon are walking down one of the many hallways. Pascal nods in agreement from Varian's shoulder.

     "Where are you two?" They hear 'Rapunzel' calling from down the hall

"Where are you two?" They hear 'Rapunzel' calling from down the hall. "Come out and show yourselves."

Varian and Pascal duck behind a large vase, as 'Rapunzel' walks right past them. But when they try to sneak away, she spots them.

"Varian? Pascal?" 'Rapunzel' says with what looks like a genuine smile on her face.

Despite everything inside him telling him to run, Varian stops and faces her.

"Guys, it's me!" She says.

There's something about the way she says this. Something about the gleam in her eyes. Varian and Pascal can just tell it's true. Pascal squeaks excitedly and hops from Varian's shoulder to Rapunzel's. Relieved, Varian gives her a quick hug.

     "I knew you would know it was the real me!" Rapunzel tells them

"You really are one of a kind," Varian smiles at her.

Rapunzel returns the smile. "Come on, we have to figure out how to free our friends!"

"I kind of feel bad for them, being stuck in that mirror with your double," Varian says.

"We need to go back to the mirror and come up with a plan," Rapunzel says. "The doubles are searching for you guys, so they won't be there anymore."

Sure enough, when the three of them get back to the mirror, the doubles are nowhere in sight. Rapunzel approaches the mirror cautiously, but doesn't see anything.

"My reflection's gone... I wonder if the guys figured out it's not me?"

"I think it would be pretty easy to tell," Varian says.

Rapunzel leans in towards the mirror, studying it. "Now, how did this mirror work?"

"From my observations, it appears that the doubles need to be touching the mirror in order for our friends to switch back," Varian says, taking care not to look directly into the mirror.