Keeper of the Spire, Part 3/6

After a long, sleepless night with continuous storms and soaked clothes, the sun finally rises and the rain lets up. Calliope emerges from her home, and immediately starts pressing them forward up the mountain. Exhausted, Varian trudges along behind the others.

     "Come on, come on, come on, come on!" Calliope shouts obnoxiously as they climb. "Like this! Left, right, left, right, left right! If we're gonna get to the top of that Spire, we have to pick up the pace!" She claps her hands, then points ahead. "Let's go! We're burning daylight, people."

     The boys groan. "You guys go ahead. I'm... I'm gonna stay here a while," Lance says, swaying like he's going to fall.

     "Me too," Varian says, collapsing onto the ground. "If I take another step, I think I might faint..."

     "Come on, guys. It's a new day!" Rapunzel says encouragingly. "Let's give Calliope a chance."

     "Let's go, maggots!" Calliope screams.

     "I'll show her a maggot," Varian says angrily as he hops up and begins to stride towards Calliope, prepared to use any of the alchemical tricks necessary to teach her a thing or two. But Rapunzel stops him, chuckling awkwardly.

     "How about we channel that anger into climbing, m'kay?" Rapunzel says. She then continues up the steps, but groans as she does so.

     "Listen Blondie, why don't you hang in the back of the group?" Eugene suggests, stopping her

     "Listen Blondie, why don't you hang in the back of the group?" Eugene suggests, stopping her. "Let Cass and me be your irritation buffer. We've got more experience being annoyed with people."

     "I have experience being annoyed with you," Cassandra tells him. Eugene glares at her as she and Lance walk past.

     "For the last time, I'm not annoyed with her!" Rapunzel says, grabbing onto Eugene. "I'm just... getting to know her. 'Cause I'm sure behind her eccentric, somewhat pretentious, clearly inconsiderate know-it-all, and thinks she's so much better than everybody else exterior, there has to be some shred of human decency, right?" She strolls past Cassandra and Lance again as they all stare at her, surprised. "But I am not annoyed with her!"

     "If this is you not annoyed, I'd really hate to see what it looks like when you are," Varian comments.

     "Hold up, hold up! Hold up, Princess," Lance says. "I think I got something that just might help." He pulls out an old sock from his pocket, that is tied in a knot at the end and has a smiley face sewn on the front. "This is Socky, my stress reliever. Whenever I feel pressure, I just squeeze old Socky and woop! Cool as a cucumber."

     Rapunzel takes Socky and stares at it. "Does it really work?" She asks.

     "It's why you see this free and easy spirit standing before you today," Lance replies.

     "Might not work as well as you think, considering you're always screaming like a girl," Varian says with a chuckle. But he lets out a shriek of his own when Cassandra suddenly pulls up on his goggles and lets them snap back onto his head.