The Eye of Pincosta, Part 4/6

"And when were you going to mention the waterfall?!" Stalyan shouts at Rapunzel.

     "I was trying to," Rapunzel says as they hurtle faster and faster towards the drop. "But you interrupted me!"

     "We need to turn around!" Stalyan says, paddling wildly.

     "This current is too strong for that," Varian says.

     "Then we're gonna have to go over," Rapunzel says. She smiles determinedly as she adds, "We can do this!"

     "Did I mention I hate you?!" Stalyan shouts as they plummet over the waterfall. They all close their eyes and scream, but Varian's scream lasts longer. He falls off of the log, but suddenly the falling sensation stops. He opens his eyes to see that he is hanging high above the water, Rapunzel's hair wrapped around him. He looks up to see that the girls are still on the log, which is perched atop a tall column of rock. They barely fell at all.

     "Hang on, Varian!" Rapunzel shouts down at him.

     "No worries there," Varian replies, grasping onto her hair tightly

     "No worries there," Varian replies, grasping onto her hair tightly. He notices that the log is balanced on the column like a seesaw, and Rapunzel is struggling to keep her end from tipping over with his extra weight at the end of her hair. They'll all go down if he stays where he is. "On second thought... Just let me go, Rapunzel."

     "What? No!" Rapunzel replies.

     "I'll be fine," Varian tells her, though he isn't completely convinced of this himself. "I'm sure the water will just break my fall. No sense in all of us risking it, which is what will happen if you don't let me do this."

     "I'm not going to let you fall, Varian," Rapunzel says. She glances around, and sees a tree growing from a ledge nearby. She smiles and swings her hair towards it, Varian still grasping on. He grabs onto the tree, and allows Rapunzel's hair to fall. Without his extra weight, it is easier for her to keep her balance.

     "Worst. Day. Ever!" Stalyan remarks.

     "We made up a lot of time, didn't we?" Rapunzel says, tying her hair back up.

     "You're right. This worked out great," Stalyan says sarcastically. "See ya!" She prepares to jump off of the log and onto the platform Varian is now standing on, but as she shifts her weight the log begins to tilt.

     "Stop!" Rapunzel shouts, and Stalyan regains the balance.

     "You have to jump off at the same time, or you'll both fall!" Varian says to them.'

     Stalyan rolls her eyes. "This is a fine situation that you've gotten us into," she says to the princess.

     "On three. Ready?" Rapunzel says, ignoring her remark. "One... Two—"

     Before she can finish counting, Stalyan jumps off the log and grabs onto the edge of the ledge, her canteen falling down the waterfall.

     "Hey!" Rapunzel yells as the log begins to tilt backwards. "You were supposed to jump on three!" She runs on top of the log, managing to leap to the ledge without falling down with it. The log plummets toward the rocks below them, and busts into a million pieces on impact.