Curses! Part 3/5

Sometime in the middle of the night, Varian wakes up with a start to Cassandra's voice shouting, "Intruder!" He hears loud banging and items crashing, and his protectiveness kicks in. He leaps out of his hammock, instinctively grabs a flask of his Flynnolium, and rushes to the girls' side of the caravan.

     "What is it?! What's going on?" He shouts, bursting through the door. He sees Cassandra holding a lit candle, and she is standing over Eugene who is on the floor with a large shield over the top of him. His legs and arms are sprawled out awkwardly, but he seems alright otherwise. Varian sighs with relief.

     "What are you doing?" Cassandra asks Eugene.

     "Well, I was just looking for a blanket," Eugene replies with a groan. "But now my bigger concern is trying to find my spleen! Oh, there it is, over by my dignity."

     Cassandra rolls her eyes, and turns her attention to Varian. "And what were you gonna do with that?" She asks, gesturing to the flask in his hand.

     Varian stares at the Flynnolium. He grabbed it without thinking, and if he had decided to use it he might have blown up the entire caravan. "Ummm... honestly, I have no idea. It was just a reflexive decision."

     Varian helps Eugene up, but then Eugene spots something around Cassandra's neck

     Varian helps Eugene up, but then Eugene spots something around Cassandra's neck. "Wait, is that a horseshoe?"

     For once, Cassandra actually looks embarrassed. "Uhhh..."

     "You know, it's bad enough this caravan is covered in garlic and incense," Eugene says with irritation, "but now you're in on it too?"

     Varian has to admit he is a little surprised that Cass would start to believe in something like curses. But he also understands her wanting to remain cautious (even though he's still with Eugene on the garlic and incense; that's carrying it a little too far).

     Eugene approaches Rapunzel's bed. "Rapunzel, this curse nonsense needs to end right n—" He pulls back her blanket, but the bed is empty. "CassAndra, where is Rapunzel?"

After Varian sets his Flynnolium down, he rushes out of the caravan to search for Rapunzel with Cassandra and Eugene.

     "She couldn't have gone far," Cassandra says.

     "I'm surprised she was able to sneak out without you hearing her," Varian says.

     "I know, I'm normally more of a light sleeper," Cassandra says, staring down at the ground. "I'm losing my edge..."