Lost and Found, Part 4/5

Having seized the fourth piece of the scroll from Eugene in the commotion, Rapunzel gazes at it in wonder. "Guys, look!" She spreads it out on a nearby rock, and Varian passes her the other pieces. When she places them all beside each other, they begin to glow and magically merge themselves back into one large piece.

     "Wow..." Varian says in awe.

     "Maybe there really is something to this faith business after—" Eugene begins to say

     "Maybe there really is something to this faith business after—" Eugene begins to say. But numerous rumbling sounds that seem like large footsteps interrupt him. "Good gravy, what is that?!"

     "I don't like this," Varian says, fear in his voice.

     As the ground shakes around them, Demanitus chitters nervously. "What did you do?!" He asks Eugene.

     "What?" Eugene responds innocently.

     "The coin!" Demanitus says knowingly, and Eugene pulls it out of his pocket. "You were supposed to put it in the fountain!"

Eugene puts his hand on his hip, as Rapunzel and Varian glare at him. "Okay, so who cares if I didn't put the coin in? What's the big deal?"

Suddenly the large stone statue they saw above the fountain stomps around the corner, growling at them angrily with glowing red eyes.

"That is the big deal," Demanitus says, as the stone creature begins to charge at them.

"'Big deal' is headed this way!" Varian screams fearfully. "Let's get outta here!"

     As they all take off in a run, Eugene hollers at Demanitus, "Faith is great, now turn it off!"

     "I can't!" Demanitus replies. "I didn't construct it with vulnerabilities! I thought people would be smart enough to put a coin in!"

     With a vicious roar, the creature slams its fists into the ground. The vibration causes the gang to fall, sprawling in different directions.

     "Ooh, I'm not smart?!" Eugene shouts, scrambling back up. "Well, who builds a giant whatever-that-is and doesn't throw in an off switch, huh? That is not smart!"

     As the creature chases Eugene, Varian, and Demanitus through the maze, it corners them at a dead-end.

     "If only it had an internal mechanism similar to the automaton," Varian observes.

     "You know of the automaton I created?" Demanitus asks.

     "Know of it? He—" Eugene begins to say. But Varian's glare, plus the creature's raised fists above them, cut him off. "Yeah, that's a story for another time..."

     The stone creature prepares to slam its fists on top of them, but before it can do so Varian tosses some of his raccoon trap solution up at it. The pink goo sticks to the creature's hands, temporarily distracting it.