Lost and Found, Part 2/5

After a few minutes of attempting to work on the scroll, and trying to block out the loud snoring coming from his napping raccoon, Varian hears a noise outside of the caravan. It sounds like... another caravan driving by?

Poking his head out the door, he sees Madame Canardist going by in her small wagon. Not her again... Varian thinks with a groan. Is she following us or something? He notices that she is headed in the same direction that Rapunzel and Eugene went in, so he decides to go after her. "Ruddiger, you coming?" He calls to the raccoon. But Ruddiger only responds with more snoring, so Varian rolls his eyes and closes the door behind him.

     "Hey! Where do you think you're going?" Cassandra asks, stopping him.

     Varian is surprised that she is willingly speaking to him. "That's Madame Canardist who just went by. I think she's going after Rapunzel and Eugene."

     "The weird curse lady with the crazy monkey?" Cassandra says. "You sure?"

     Varian nods. Did his 'tough love' work on Cassandra?

     After considering this for a moment, Cassandra shrugs indifferently. "Alright then. Good luck with that."

     Okay, maybe it didn't work as well as he had hoped. She could have at least offered to come with him! But he chooses to see the bright side, and realizes that she didn't have to say anything to him at all. "Thanks, I guess..." He replies, and then runs off on his own after Madame Canardist.

     Once he finally catches up with her wagon, he sees Rapunzel and Eugene exiting from it... with Vigor.

     "What's going on?" Varian asks them.

     "Oh look! Varian's here. What a surprise," Eugene says sarcastically.

     "Well I'm sorry for being concerned about my friends," Varian retorts.

     Eugene places a hand on his shoulder. "I'm just kidding, Hair Stripe. I appreciate you looking out for us. Besides..." His eyes narrow as he glares at Canardist's wagon. "Our alone time was already interrupted, anyway."

     Vigor screeches loudly, and rushes off through the forest. "Come on! We have to keep up with him," Rapunzel says, rushing after the monkey.

     "Why exactly are we chasing the monkey?" Varian asks as he and Eugene begin to run, too.

     "Another dumb fortune," Eugene replies.

     "It isn't dumb, Eugene!" Rapunzel says. She then tells Varian, "The fortune said: 'For you, the path awaits, where the final quarter lies after many dire straits'."

     "And that means...?" Varian says.

     "Apparently, Vigor is gonna lead us to this 'path'," Eugene says, clearly not convinced.