There's Something About Hook Foot, Part 1/4

The gang have been on the island for quite a few days now, awaiting the next new moon. It's been kind of nice, like a mini vacation. They've been swimming in the ocean, relaxing on the beach, chilling with the Lorbs... It's been a while since they've enjoyed themselves this much.

     But, as much fun as it's been, Varian has had something else on his mind: the kiss Cassandra gave him. No matter how hard he tries to force himself to think of something else, his brain still relives that moment. Normally he works on projects to distract himself when something overtakes his thoughts, but with all of his alchemical supplies getting destroyed in the storm he hasn't had much to work with. He just sits on the beach, thinking about her.

     He knows it's stupid. He knows it was just a simple kiss on the cheek. He knows that it meant nothing to her, and if she knew how it would affect him she probably never would have done it. But the fact is, it did affect him. And it is driving him crazy because he can't figure out why. Why did it affect him? Why can't he stop thinking about her? Why does he suddenly grow weak in the knees when he sees her?

     Varian has had a crush on Cassandra since the day they met. But now, spending every day with her out on this adventure, he has come to a realization... He is afraid he may actually be falling for her.

     "Varian, have you noticed something different about Hook Foot?" Rapunzel asks, snapping him out of his thoughts.

     "Oh, um... I don't know, why?" He replies, clearing his throat. The truth is, he's been so wrapped up in how he is feeling that he hasn't paid much attention to what the others are doing.

     Rapunzel points toward Hook Foot, and Varian sees him sitting in a chair with an umbrella over his head, staring off into the distance with a dreamy look on his face. He hasn't even noticed that the water is now coming up to his waist.

     "He seems like himself to me," Varian says. Rapunzel just shakes her head.

     Lance and Eugene now approach Rapunzel and Varian. "Um... Something's up with Hook Foot," Lance says.

     "That's what we were just talking about!" Rapunzel says

     "He hasn't moved in I don't know how long," Lance continues.

     "I'm guessing since low tide," Eugene comments.

     "This is nothing," Cassandra says, joining the conversation. "The other day when I was training, I noticed something bounce off my sword. When I followed where it came from, I found Hook Foot clipping his toenails... with a crab's claw!" She shudders. "I can't believe his disgusting toenail touched my sword."

     "Gross..." Varian remarks.

     "And since when does he clip his toenails?" Eugene points out.