Vigor the Visionary, Part 3/5

After hearing Angry explain why she and Red stole Vigor, Eugene shakes his head as Vigor watches a butterfly float by with only one of his wild eyes.

"Alright, look... I understand why you did what you did," Eugene tells the girls. "But no matter what you call it, borrowing without permission is stealing. You have to bring him back."

     "No, no, no!" Angry shouts, grabbing Vigor protectively and ducking down into the bushes with him. "I can't bring him back now!"

     Rapunzel sighs, and places her hand on Eugene's shoulder. "Eugene, I know you want them to do the right thing. I do too. But, Angry and Red have been on their own for a long time. And if there's even the slightest chance that Vigor can lead them to a home, shouldn't we take it?"

     Eugene seems conflicted. He looks down at Red, who is staring at him determinedly. "There isn't a chance," he says, "but... fine."

     Angry gasps, and emerges from the bushes with Vigor clinging to her head. Varian does empathize with them. If he thought there was even the slimmest chance that someone could help him free his father, even if it was a monkey, he probably would have done the same thing.

     "That said," Eugene continues, "you have to promise on Maximus' life that you will give Vigor back once the search is done and he proves to be a phony." Max grunts in irritation at the mention of his name.

     "Is that clear, you two?" Rapunzel asks.

     Angry and Red exchange glances as Vigor sniffs behind Angry's ear. Angry smiles and holds out her hand to Eugene. "Deal."

     Eugene reaches to shake her hand, but Vigor sniffs his hand instead. Eugene jumps back with disgust, grasping his hand like it now has the plague. "Monkey germs," he complains.

     "Okay, so now all we've gotta do is figure out how to get Vigor to do his thing," Rapunzel says.

     "I might have some ideas about that," Varian suggests.

     "No need," Eugene says. "It won't be too hard to figure out." He pulls out a coin, flips it in the air, and catches it in his fist. He then holds the coin in front of Vigor. "Hey, li'l fella. Where can we find Angry's family?"

     Upon seeing the coin, Vigor leaps straight in the air and lands on a stump. Eugene tosses him the coin, and he eagerly stuffs it into his turban. He fans out a deck of tarot cards, pulls one out, and holds it up. Eugene and Varian both roll their eyes.

     "The Wheel of Fortune?" Angry reads the card

     "The Wheel of Fortune?" Angry reads the card. Surprisingly, Vigor then eats the card.

     "Why would he eat it?" Rapunzel wonders.

     "Uh, because he's a monkey?" Varian says.

     "It probably means his diet is deficient in fiber," Eugene adds.