Destinies Collide, Part 4/8

Varian gasps, covering his mouth in shock. He and the others have just witnessed the stranger wearing a bear mask defeat Adira, who fell into the deep chasm.

     But none of them have the time to mourn, as the masked stranger strikes his axe at the frame connecting the gondola to the cable. This causes the gondola to flip on its side. While Lance clutches the crank so as not to tumble out the windows, Varian and Cassandra cling to Lance and Ruddiger hangs off of Varian.

 While Lance clutches the crank so as not to tumble out the windows, Varian and Cassandra cling to Lance and Ruddiger hangs off of Varian

     Above them, the gondola finally arrives at the other side of the chasm. Rapunzel grabs Eugene and swings onto the side of the gondola... which is now the top. She looks inside, and sees all of her friends clinging on. She swiftly helps all of them up, as the cable continues to fray.

     "Rapunzel, you and the others go," Eugene says. "I'll hold off Mr. Personality."

     "But—" Rapunzel begins to say, as the others stare at him worriedly.

     "I said, go! Now!" Eugene shouts emphatically, as the relentless stranger comes up behind him.

     After a moment's hesitation, Varian and the others comply. But Cassandra has to physically grab Rapunzel and drag her along with them.

     "Cassandra, wait!" Rapunzel protests, but Cass pulls her off of the gondola to the safety of the cliff. From there, they watch as the stranger towers menacingly over Eugene.

     "Alright, what do you say we call this one a draw?" Eugene says, holding up his hands defensively. But just as the man is about to attack him, the cable snaps in half and the gondola drops... taking Eugene and the masked stranger with it.

     "No!" Rapunzel cries.

     "Eugene!" Varian screams, tears stinging his eyes.

     They all rush to the edge of the cliff and stare down, but the gondola has already disappeared into the thick mist.

     Eugene is gone.

     "I'm... I'm so sorry, Raps," Cassandra says, her hand on the princess's shoulder.

     "M-Me too," Varian adds, doing his best to keep himself from sobbing as Ruddiger wraps himself tighter around his shoulders.