Welcome to the Jungle

New Years was so good. Less drama-filled than Christmas dinners. Meadow stayed and celebrated with our family. The kids drank the non-alcoholic juice and fell asleep after the countdown. She went back to her house. Today was another ok time. I applied makeup and brushed my hair. I'm getting ready to pick up the kids from school. Bryce was downstairs, writing new songs for a new album. I walked downstairs and wrapped my purse around my shoulder. He was in the living room. "Babe, I'm gonna go pick up the kids." I told him. He looked up and smiled. "K! See you!" He said, kissing my cheek. I returned the gesture and opened the front door to close behind. I honked my Skyline and got inside to start the engine. I drove on the road to their private school. Kids were walking out with their parents. I smiled as I pulled up. Breanna waved at her friends and caught up to Jace who held a somewhat cage covered with a blanket. I got out and waved. They saw me and smiled. "Hey mom!" They said, making their way to the car. Breanna opened the door so Jace could get inside. She followed behind and closed the door. I carefully drove off from my spot and onto the road. Hm, what does he have in that box? I smiled happily. "Hey, kids! How was your day?" I asked. Breanna giggled. "Great!" She said. Jace smiled. "This right here is my homework! The best homework! A pet snake to take care of for the weekend." He told me, pulling the blanket off to show the snake. My eyes widened. His homework is watching a blood-thirsty snake? Ok, that doesn't sound insane. Does it? I cleared my throat awkwardly. "That's good, baby. It's important to care for nature animals." I said, half-smiling. He nodded and covered the blanket on the cage. Breanna hummed in response. "Does it bite?" She asked. He shrugged. "Nope! Ms. Kanellis said it's a harmless rat snake." He said. I mentally scoffed. Everything's harmless until you get a venomous bite but I trust my little boy about using this as learning. I turned on the radio. Justin Bieber, Juju on That Beat, Ariana Grande played. They danced and playfully sung. I laughed, driving on the road back home. Bryce might do backflips once he sees the snake.

I pulled up in our driveway. They got out of the car and closed the doors. Suddenly, a hiss was heard.
It's definitely the snake. I pulled out my key and opened the door. It opened, revealing a happy-barking Brian. Breanna smiled widely. "Brian!" She said, picking him up. He licked her cheeks repeatedly. Jace chuckled. "Mom, can I find my snake some food?" He asked. I hummed in response. "After daddy meets him." I said, smirking. He nodded and walked to the kitchen. Breanna took Brian upstairs as I followed behind. Bryce was reading a magazine and sipping on corona. He looked up and smiled. "Hey, you two!" He said. We hugged him. He hugged back. He noticed Jace's pet cage and raised an eyebrow. "Is this homework?" He asked. I quickly nodded. Jace set the cage on the counter. "Are you both hungry?" I asked. They looked at me confusedly. "No." They said in unison. I admit, I'm hungry. I smiled sheepishly. "Ok, I am." I admitted. Bryce hid a chuckle as I pulled out ingredients to make sandwiches. Jace smiled. "You wanna see my school project Dad?" He asked. He reread something on his phone, maybe from his manager.
"Not right now, son. I'm sorry." He told him. I sighed while spreading mayo on the bread. His sad face lit up. "Mom! We forgot the mice!" He reminded me. Damn it! His snake will need its food for the weekend. My eyes diverted to Bryce who's busy texting. I smirked. "Maybe Daddy will take you there." I said. I went back to finishing my sandwich. He looked up confusedly. "Mice for what?" He asked. Jace pulled the blanket off the cage, showing the appearance of the snake. His eyes widened. "Whoa!" He jumped, almost dropping his phone. The snake hissed for a second. I tried hard not to laugh. "Where did you get that thing, boy?" He asked. I smiled innocently. "What's wrong Daddy? Are you afraid?" I teased. Bryce scoffed. "I'm not afraid of shit. Especially no snake. He better be scared of me." He said. Jace giggled. "It's homework! I have to take care of him for a whole weekend. It means taking responsibilities like you said about Brian." He told him. He smiled sheepishly. "I'm not sure about a dog and snake walking around here. What if he eats Brian?" He said. On cue, Breanna came with Brian in her grasp. He made eye contact with the snake and growled angrily. In a matter of seconds he start barking. All our jaws dropped. Well, he's not afraid. "Shush!" I told him. He whined and let out another bark. The snake hissed. Bryce nodded. "You got rule number 1, keep it inside the cage because Brian and him could kill each other." He said, pointing at him. Jace groaned. "Aww but that's the fun part!" He whined.
Me and Breanna chuckled. He rolled his eyes. "Rule number 2, don't let it out the cage and rule number 3, it better not come out the cage." He said firmly. Jace shrugged. "Fine! I got a snake!" He said, cheering at the last part. "Keep it in the cage Jace!" Bryce shouted. Breanna smiled innocently. "Hm, not scared of the snake?" She asked. We looked at her confusedly until she bursted off laughing. He sighed and played with a big spoon. I smiled, kissing his cheek. It got really hard for me to save my laughter. Is he seriously scared of a snake?