Losing a Family Member

All of us were standing or sitting near the lake. We were feeling 3 things; grief, anger and depression. I was feeling more like grief. I sat next to Steve. Tears were stained on my face. Nat was more than just a superhero to me. We became closer since the night they took me. I even felt close to her before I even met her. She was indeed my best friend and family. Now that I said family, thoughts of Valerie came back. It made me shed more tears. I lost my best friend because she was missing, now I lost another because of a terribly-stupid sacrifice. I can't imagine what Clint and Bruce is feeling right now. They were more close to Nat than ever. "She had a family?" Tony asked. Steve shedded a fallen tear. "Yeah. Us." He said. What he said made me cover my face to cry. He looked at me worriedly and held me to his chest. Thor walked up to Tony. "What?" He asked. He got up from where he sat."I just asked him a question- Thor cut him off. "Yeah I know you're acting like she's dead. We have the stones right? As long as we have the stones Cap, we can bring her back. Isn't that right? So stop this shit, we're the Avengers get it together." He growled. "It can't be undone." Clint said. We looked at him. I managed to speak while tears fell. "What?" I said a bit hoarsely. "It can't be undone. Or at least that's what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him ok? Go grab your hammer and you go fly and you talk to him." He growled/crying. I wiped my eyes and took a deep breath. Steve kissed my tear stained cheek. "Its supposed to be me. You sacrificed your life for that goddamn stone, you bet your life on it." Clint said. Bruce angrily threw a chair across the lake. The heartbreak and anger fueled his grief. "She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to." He said. I forgot Steve was out of my grasp. He put on a strong face. "We will." He said. Grieving over Nat reminded me the day Valerie went missing.

My 7 year old self cried in mom's grasp. She hugged me, trying to sing a lullaby to help. But it didn't. My best friend was gone once I went inside to get our toys. We were playing tag. Once I got back, she was gone. Police came in with dad. "Mrs. Knoche?" He said. She looked at him while she held me. "Yes?" She said. "We found out somehow somebody or somebody's vehicle showed up and she was gone." He said. "What do you mean?" She whispered. "She was...kidnapped." Dad said, shedding more tears. Myself didn't hear them talk. I kept crying and thinking if she'll come back. She wasn't missing. She was kidnapped.

My brain clicked. She's still out there and probably alive. What's wrong with me? Why didn't I knew this sooner? She wouldn't run away or got herself lost. Tears reformed in my eyes. Its my fault. I didn't look for her and maybe she's nowhere after the kidnapper kept her for 19 years. Steve looked at me worriedly. "Lizzy, are you ok?" He asked. Everyone diverted their attention to me. I said nothing. All I did was get up and super speeded back to the tower.

******

I dropped to my knees, looking at the time machine. I messed up myself. I was there. I could've told her to go inside and never walk out cause she would get taken away. Tears fell while I was on the ground. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." I whispered. The words I would say to Valerie years after that day. The others ran back inside in search of me. "Lizzy!" Steve said. I got up from the ground as they ran up to me. "Are you ok?" Steve asked. I sighed. "I'm going to make this quick for you all to understand. During the test run, I was back in the past of my old life...in Canada where my adoptive family was. Lots of amazing memories there. I had two brothers but that's all people knew. I actually have 3. A little sister named Valerie. She was sweet, nice, really smart..because she always gets alphabets right. We were so close as 7 year olds. One day, the same fucking day I showed up I saw us playing tag. I left before I could watch myself go get our toys while she stayed outside. When I came back...she was kidnapped. It was stupid of me to think she went missing. Its also stupid I would've told my younger self to stay with her so she wouldn't got taken away. I messed up. She didn't. Being close with Nat was like being close to her. My sister's still out there and I'm not sure if she's dead or alive. Now I lost another family member because of a stupid sacrifice for these damn stones. And she'll never come back. My sister never came back for 19 years." I said while tears fell. "Its not your fault." Tony said. "You can still find her. We have to make it worth it." Bruce said. Steve grappled me into a hug. "We're not giving up. We will make it worth it." He said. I finally calmed down, thanks to the warmth and love they were giving me. "I don't think anyone turned me bionic. It just came...after seeing you for the first time." I said, referring to Steve. He smiled. "I'm glad I saw you for the first time." He whispered. He kissed my forehead. I returned the gesture. We parted as he looked at them. "Ok. Lets end this now. Bruce?" He said. He nodded. I smiled a little. Nat will always be my family, and I won't stop till I found my other.