15 | the ball

Amelie
________

I always sleep like a baby. Aunt May used to say that huge tornadoes could be flying around our house and I wouldn't notice a thing.

But this night was different. I was up all the time I was supposed to be sleeping, with my eyes opened wide and staring at the ceiling above me.

Mother, mother, mother...

That was the only thing I could think of. Everything else seems irrelevant.

I tried to remember all the things my father told me about my mom, and that's when I realized I know absolutely nothing. All my life, he has raised me as the Heir at first and his daughter at second, and I was okay with that. I was taught not to ask many questions, because that takes too much time. So I didn't and now I'm here, with zero knowledge about my mother. My birth giver. The woman who was supposed to take care of me.

Her name was Sage and she was very young when she got pregnant. I think father said around 18 or 19, not more. Her and my father didn't date for long when it happened, so I guess that's why he doesn't even miss her. At least I think so. She had me and died a few minutes after my birth. 7th April.

That's it.

I waited until the sun rose up to the sky and quickly dressed up. It's November, everything is cold and depressing and the weather is only adding to it. I made sure the common room is clear and went out of the castle.

The cold morning air was making my body freeze, but somehow I didn't really mind it. I enjoyed my way to Hogsmeade. Everything was fresh and ready for a new day. I apparated from there straight in front of our house.

Me and aunt May kept the garden pretty and full of white and red roses, but ever since I left to Hogwarts, she doesn't seem to take care of it at all. I'm not surprised - it was our thing. We always did it together so it is okay that she doesn't do it anymore.

As I was walking to the door, I touched a few rose bushes and a few red roses immediately grew and bloomed. It's only temporary, but I still love this kind of magic.

When I walked into the hall, I instantly sensed that the house is empty. Except the house elf - our Tweeky. She has been our house elf and my friend for as long as I can remember and I can't imagine this house without her. She's the one who keeps everything in its place and order.

"I missed you so much!" I said all excited when I saw her.

Her small body ran towards me and let me hug her. I had to bend down to do that.

"Tweeky missed miss Riddle too, Tweeky has kept her room clean everyday,"

"So where's everyone?" By everyone, I meant my father and aunt May. That's like the only people who use this house, which is kind of sad, because this building has so much potential. It's so old and beautiful...and full of secrets, apparently.

"Mrs Mayleene has gone shopping," of course she did, "and the Dark Lord is...well, Tweeky doesn't know where the Dark Lord is, because the Dark Lord hasn't told Tweeky ab-"

"Okay, I get it. Could you make me a tea, please?"

I love her, but sometimes she can get me annoyed by the way she talks. But it's not her fault, I get it.